Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question to anyone who owns an Olympus PEN-F 150mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Question to anyone who owns an Olympus PEN-F 150mm lens Reply with quote

Here is a question to anyone who owns an Olympus PEN-F 150mm /f4.0 lens. I am fortunate to have found two of them. The first one had some haze problems over half of one of the elements (I didn't return it so still have it). The second one as far as I can tell is as good as you might expect from a lens from the 1960's.

Both of these lenses exhibit the same phenomenon on my Olympus E-M1 Mk.II: veiling flair. At least I think that is what it is. I haven't tested this extensively, but it is my observation that despite the deep lens hood whenever the sun is anywhere near the front of the lens a bright and low contrast area is visible in the frame. Note that both of my lenses do this to the same extent.

The only other lens I own that flairs so noticeably (much worse I might add) is a 1942-ish Schneider Kreuznach 180mm 5.5 Tele-Xenar. There is a world of difference between the 1940's and 1960's in terms of lens coatings and somehow I doubt that the lens designers at Olympus in the 1960's would have marketed a lens with such an obvious fault.

Which leads me to the conclusion that this is either some age related degradation, or perhaps more likely that it might be a reflection from the sensor in my camera or something similar. The point being that this might not have happened on a "real" PEN-F camera.

So here is the question to anyone who owns this lens: do you see the same problem and what camera are you using? Any thoughts on this?

Other than this it is a really nice lens. Light weight, mechanically excellent, sharp even at wide apertures, etc.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive Multi Coating on OM full frame lenses started in the late 70's. I would be surprised if the Pen half frame were multicoated earlier.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 150mm f/4 for Pen F. I have shot it occasionally on the Sony A7RIV without ever noticing a flair issue. I'll shoot a few test shots this week and post for you.

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics from today with the Olympus Pen 150mm f/4 lens. I shot these on a Sony A7RIV in full frame mode. The built-in lens shade was extended. All shots were made at ISO 400 and at f/4 in Aperture Priority Mode. The first shot is directly into the sun, the second with the sun just out of frame, the third with the sun completely out of frame. The last shot was with the sun to my back.

Also, I mounted the lens to my Pen-F body and the view seemed pretty much the same to my eyes.

I hope this helps!

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Here are a few pics from today with the Olympus Pen 150mm f/4 lens. I shot these on a Sony A7RIV in full frame mode. The built-in lens shade was extended. All shots were made at ISO 400 and at f/4 in Aperture Priority Mode. The first shot is directly into the sun, the second with the sun just out of frame, the third with the sun completely out of frame. The last shot was with the sun to my back.

Also, I mounted the lens to my Pen-F body and the view seemed pretty much the same to my eyes.

I hope this helps!

Paul

Thank you, very helpful. In your pictures I don't see what I see with my two PEN-F 150mm lenses. In one lens it could be a lens thing, but with two lenses to me is more than a coincidence. Perhaps a combination between lens and my camera. Either way, I appreciate your help Smile

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the veiling flare is very bad then their might be a reversed element somewhere. I had that with a Enna München Ennalyt 135. Super soft until I flipped the rear or second to rear element.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="connloyalist"]
pdccameras wrote:

. In your pictures I don't see what I see with my two PEN-F 150mm lenses. In one lens it could be a lens thing, but with two lenses to me is more than a coincidence. Perhaps a combination between lens and my camera.

Regards, C.

With other lenses, I have had flare issues associated with reflections caused by shiny black coatings/paint inside of adapters. Most notably this happened with a Hasselblad lens to Canon EOS adapter. When the lens (80mm f/2.8 Zeiss Planar) was pointed at a strong light, part of the image was obscured by both veiling flare and a bright streak of light. I ended up flocking the inside of the adapter with dull black, matte gaffer's tape and the flare disappeared.

Best of luck,

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had issues with certain lens adapter combos. My S-M-C tak 50mm macro with a Fotga helical adapter iirc. I bought some stick on felt to line the adapter. Problem solved.