Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kyoei Optical 135mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Kyoei Optical 135mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

Anybody with experience with this lens? Cannot find too much about it. Bought one and waiting, not knowing too much about it. Most information on the web is about the f/3.5 version.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 2018, I bought a LTM Kyoei 135mm f/3.5 and it came with a brochure that included all the lenses that Kyoei was making back then -- probably the late 50s. Anyway, the brochure shows the f/2.8 variant. I posted a set of images from this brochure in a message here, at this link:

http://forum.mflenses.com/kyoei-brochure-some-cool-stuff-t78812,highlight,%2Bkyoei.html

The image showing the 135/2.8 is the fourth one down, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I found that post, very interesting. It indeed is on that page, and that's about all I could find.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some info on Kyoei here as well http://www.savazzi.net/photography/35kyoei.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kyoei Optical 135mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Anybody with experience with this lens? Cannot find too much about it. Bought one and waiting, not knowing too much about it. Most information on the web is about the f/3.5 version.

Five elements in three groups.
Might be a sonnar design
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wouldn't be a bad thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 135s are usually good or great. Woryth a punt, even if just out of interest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two copies, both rebadged as Soligor. One is reasonable, the other is very good, suggesting an amount of variation may exist, but if you can fi d a good copy it will be worth it. Due to the age even a good copy still has early coatings and aperture blades made of bright metal which may reduce contrast as you stop it down.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I have two copies, both rebadged as Soligor. One is reasonable, the other is very good, suggesting an amount of variation may exist, but if you can fi d a good copy it will be worth it. Due to the age even a good copy still has early coatings and aperture blades made of bright metal which may reduce contrast as you stop it down.

Interesting, do you have picture of your lens?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm away from home currently, so can't immediately post a pic. I'm also thinking that I may have misinterpreted your post, as the brochure linked to above has 2 different 135/2.8 lenses. My two Soligor lenses are the same as the SLR lens in the 3rd image. I do have a lens similar to the 135/2.8 in the 4th image but it has a zebra design, and is either an Accura or Coligon badge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch. You know, I just noticed that the 135/2.8 in the 3rd image has no indication as to the cameras it fits, whereas the one in the 4th image does. In fact, most all of the SLR lenses mention which cameras they fit, but curiously this particular 135mm does not. Is it safe to assume that it is also a universal mount, given that you have a pair of Soligors that are identical to it? Are yours M42?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the 5/3 version, it arrived today and it has Exa mount.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Good catch. You know, I just noticed that the 135/2.8 in the 3rd image has no indication as to the cameras it fits, whereas the one in the 4th image does. In fact, most all of the SLR lenses mention which cameras they fit, but curiously this particular 135mm does not. Is it safe to assume that it is also a universal mount, given that you have a pair of Soligors that are identical to it? Are yours M42?

From memory both are M42, I'm not sure whether they have a T2 or similar mounting system, but probably not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got home again and got them out to have a quick look.

They are fairly close to each other in terms of serial number. Kyoei lenses for Soligor and several other badges often had serials prefixed with 'K.No.'

There are several differences between the two. The lens with the higher serial has a different aperture actuating ring, with a green mark similar to that used by Petri when they used Kyoei lenses on their M42 Penta camera range, whereas the other lens is marked out with the actual aperture setting for a guide.

They also have different M42 adapter rings. These are similar to a T2 mount, but the inner ring is permanently attached, it doesn't seem to screw off the lens.

The front optical group screws out fairly easily. The two are slightly different here also.

The lens scheme appear to be sonnar-like. here is the second and third elements in a doublet. The phone camera failed to focus correctly and show the line where the two are glued together.

A 100% crop from a picture taken at maximum aperture and minimum focus distance.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alun, that's useful info. That crop looks pretty good as well.