Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor 100 2.8 Focus Ring Play/Slop
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject: Topcor 100 2.8 Focus Ring Play/Slop Reply with quote

I recently acquired a RE Auto Topcor 100mm f/2.8. There is a slight play/slop in the focus ring. It is not the rubber grip but the actual focus ring. Does anyone know how to fix this or the potential cause?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Topcor 100 2.8 Focus Ring Play/Slop Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
I recently acquired a RE Auto Topcor 100mm f/2.8. There is a slight play/slop in the focus ring. It is not the rubber grip but the actual focus ring. Does anyone know how to fix this or the potential cause?

Simple question first: can you easily remove the rubber grip without damaging it (sometimes they are quite loose on Topor RE lenses), and if so: are the screws fixing the focus ring now visible? Somtimes they are simply hidden under the rubber grip ...

EDIT I have just been able to lift a small portion of the rubber grip; and by chance there was a screw just beyond it. I managed to remove both rubber grips without damaging them (most Topcor RE rubber grips have become pretty brittle, so be careful when doing the same!). There were no screws under the front rubber grip, but four screws under the second rubber grip. These four screws are glued into position, and they most probably connect the focus ring with the helix. Be sure to dissolve the glue with a drop of acetone (propanol or butanol sometimes works as well) before you try to unscrew / re-srew them. Maybe even eating is needed, if solvents don't work; I simply don't know.

That should solve your problem.

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. The rubber is pretty old but does not seem to be brittle or cracked. I will try my luck.
That looks to be your 10cm Topcor?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
Thanks Steve. The rubber is pretty old but does not seem to be brittle or cracked. I will try my luck.

No, it's the "RE.Auto-Topcor 1:2.8 f=100mm" Wink ... SN 7506620!

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
cbass wrote:

No, it's the "RE.Auto-Topcor 1:2.8 f=100mm" Wink ... SN 7506620!

S

Makes sense. You wouldn't want to take a risk on your better performing copy. Laugh 1