Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

search function may need improvements?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: search function may need improvements? Reply with quote

I just tried to search for Tele Xenar on the repairs subforum and got a 404 error.I assume that it is a common lens so there should be some mention of it, Tried both as one word, two words with - between and small letters. same result.
(problem: infinity adjustment of the 1950es version). This is not the firwsts time I have encountered problems with the search function. Tips on its proper use would be nice.

p.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: search function may need improvements? Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
I just tried to search for Tele Xenar on the repairs subforum and got a 404 error.I assume that it is a common lens so there should be some mention of it, Tried both as one word, two words with - between and small letters. same result.
(problem: infinity adjustment of the 1950es version). This is not the firwsts time I have encountered problems with the search function. Tips on its proper use would be nice.

p.

It's not a perfect search engine but it works reasonably, and probably better than most forums & certainly e-bay!
Try just searching for 'Xenar' it only has 4 hits in the repairs section, one of which is adjusting rf on a non tele xenar.

You may find other info where the xenar name hasn't been included searching the manufacture & focal length (eg. Schneider 135) might give more hits.

Where a hyphen is used between two words there tend to be slight variations when people type it, some might add spaces, others forget the hyphen etc. just using one half generally works better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes a + between search terms works for multiple keywords.

Google and other search engines can be used for searching the public firums, for example

Code:
tele xenar site:mflenses.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Sometimes a + between search terms works for multiple keywords.

Google and other search engines can be used for searching the public firums, for example

Code:
tele xenar site:mflenses.com

Where the plus symbol works (for also with the following word) a minus symbol will often work to mean exclude the following word. Hyphens can definitely cause issues!

The search engine here has a tick box option for all words.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: search Reply with quote

Thanks. When searching with Google i use " " on each side of the exact term for what I wish to find and try to use Boolean operators such as AND to get the exact conjunction of concepts and to exclude the rubbish i use NOT sale,bargain etc. Didnt know some operators worked here as well. I will see if the advice on an ordinary xenar works on the ancient one.

p.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the search form:

Quote:
Search for any terms or use query as entered
Search for all terms

Choose Search for all terms switch when using " " between terms.

Also:

Quote:
Search for Keywords:

You can use AND to define words which must be in the results, OR to define words which may be in the result and NOT to define words which should not be in the result. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches

Also of note is the switch

Quote:
Display results as: Posts Topics

The Posts selection will not work because there are no database indices here to support it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The search all terms option doesn't work in the Manual Focus Lens forum, in that it seems to pick on any one term and not filter for each. The list of returns seems to be all post ever entered.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I stated above, the boolean operators do not seem to work either-despite the subsequent statements to the contrary

p-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it has a lot of flaws, but until Attila makes the needed changes, nothing will happen...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using quotes around each term and that was quite successful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Yep, it has a lot of flaws, but until Attila makes the needed changes, nothing will happen...

Is he still around?