Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma EX 105mm f2.8 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Sigma EX 105mm f2.8 Macro Reply with quote

I bought this Sigma EX 105mm f2.8 Macro lens off Salvation Army's auction website in Nikon AF mount, and can't find much information about it online. From what I can see on Sigma's discontinued lens listing at https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lens-resources/lens-chart-for-recently-discontinued-lenses it is the one with product code 256. Looks like it was from late film era before digital... maybe sometime between 2000-2010? I can't find any product literature, archived support websites, PDF manuals, or anything similar. I can find those for newer versions (the ones that have other acronyms, like OS and DG and HSM) but not for this one.

The inscription on the side says Sigma EX on one side of the focus window, and 105mm 1:2.8 D Macro on the other. I believe the D is just the designation for the Nikon mount, saying that it relays distance information to the camera. It's not really part of the product name as far as I can deduce. There's a physical aperture ring and a manual-focus clutch, and an aperture lever sticking out the rear of the mount as well as the usual electronic contacts for autofocus. There's also a focus range limiter, which I assume does nothing in manual-focus mode. It focuses to 1:1.

Build feels nice. It feels lightweight but quality, and is pretty compact. I'm looking forward to getting out and seeing what kind of image quality it produces. This copy is like-new with OEM hood and caps.

Last edited by xaprb on Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sigma EX 105mm f2.8 Macro Reply with quote

xaprb wrote:

Images -- not of my copy, but of a product listing on KEH -- I'm too lazy to make the effort to set up and take good product shots right now, hope KEH will forgive me :-D

I had a voice in the corner of my mind saying "this is not right" when I posted those images and I should have listened to it. I'm adding some iPhone images of my own below and will edit the original message to remove KEH's images.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EX was made for film, when Digital came it was recalculated to reduce sensor reflection and Marked DG (meaning it has full frame coverage, APS-C only lenses are DC).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-105mm-f2-8-ex-dg-macro.html

Your rear element seems to be slightly concave, the DG version is flat.