Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panagor 35mm 1:2 ???
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Panagor 35mm 1:2 ??? Reply with quote

I have just bought a Panagor 35mm 1:2 (M42 mount). I haven't really found a lot of information. If what's written elsewhere is correct, then this Panagor was made by Kino Precision (Kiron). Is that right?

Also, anyone tried this lens? Comments?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find! Yes, it's a Kino made lens. Would love to see some samples!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Great find! Yes, it's a Kino made lens. Would love to see some samples!

Thank you! Well, you know me so posting samples is pretty much a given... Laughing Please be patient!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Panagor a Kino "house brand" ?
Only later did they use "Kiron".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed Luis. It's interesting that the 35mm does not seem to have survived under the Kiron name. We all know the 28mm 1:2 but the 35mm seems to have been replaced by it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The physical design looks very similair to the Panagor 28/2.5 that I had...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
The physical design looks very similair to the Panagor 28/2.5 that I had...

Yes, it's the typical Panagor design. My Panagor 55mm 1:3 macro and Panagor 135mm f/2.8 have the same design. BTW, the Panagor 28mm f/2.5 is easy to spot because of its unique design and it also is very common.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have the lens in my hands now. I guess it's rare or at least uncommon as I would expect more owners on this forum. But apparently I'm the only one Smile

Well, I'm surprised. First about the mechanical quality: everything works super smooth and without drag or play. Focusing feel is definitely on a Takumar level. The diaphragm is clean and snappy, what else could I wish for? Smile

Optically it seems very good too. Wide open there's plenty of sharpness in the focus plane. CA is not visible in my test shots. Big plus: no infinity issues on the Canon 5D with stock mirror. There's some vignetting wide open, but that was to be expected.

Samples will follow tomorrow, please be patient...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to correct the ongoing Panagor=Kino myth. There are a few Panagor Kino lenses 21/4 28/2.5 and a rare 28/2.0 (rare in Panagor and without the silver Panagor aperture ring). Most other prime lenses were made by Komine (I haven't really looked into the two mirror reflex lenses 300/5.6 and 500/8 so they might be from another manufacturer).

This is my Komine made (The Vivitar 35mm F1.9 is the same lens) 35mm 1:2

Very well made as Asahiflex already mentioned.

Panagor Auto Wide-Angle 35mm 1:2 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Some samples:
Firkeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Fencekeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Leafkeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Flowerkeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last image is beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Images look quite nice. I haven’t really tried my copy.

In my memory, the Panagor 28mm f2 is pretty small, not on the size of Kiron made 28/2, closer to Komine made 28/2 CF or 28/2.8. I couldn’t locate where I put the lens otherwise I could do a size comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Images look quite nice. I haven’t really tried my copy.

In my memory, the Panagor 28mm f2 is pretty small, not on the size of Kiron made 28/2, closer to Komine made 28/2 CF or 28/2.8. I couldn’t locate where I put the lens otherwise I could do a size comparison.

The lens is pretty hard to find online copied this from Etsy. Definitely the Kiron version (I have both Vivitars 28/2). This one is in MD

Not the typical Panagor style so I am not adding it to the Panagor collection. It probably is a later Panagor from the eighties (83 serial number, most Panagor serials seem to start with year production (some earlier ones don't))

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
...copied this from Etsy...

Tsk, tsk. Smile