Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor Ai-s 85mm f/1.4 first images
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Nikkor Ai-s 85mm f/1.4 first images Reply with quote

This is just a lovely lens to use. Very smooth mechanics, perfect focus throw, super nice bokeh. All images taken at f/1.4.

Nikkor@f14664 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Nikkor@f14665 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Nikkor@f14666 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Nikkor@f14667 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Nikkor@f14663 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics. Great portrait!!!!

Which camera did you use for that photos?

Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Very nice pics. Great portrait!!!!

Which camera did you use for that photos?

Thanks for sharing

Thank you. I used the Sony A7R2.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor Ai-s 85mm f/1.4 first images Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
This is just a lovely lens to use. Very smooth mechanics, perfect focus throw, super nice bokeh. All images taken at f/1.4.

... as is its longer sibling, the Ai Nikkor 1.8/105mm, which I use occasionally.

Did you (or the camera) corect CAs, maybe automatically?? If not, it would seem the AiS 1.4/85mm has less longitudinal CAs than my Minolta AF 1.4/85mm. However your Nikkor images look also quite soft, something I'm not used to with my Minolta!

Thanks for sharing the images.

S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor Ai-s 85mm f/1.4 first images Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

... as is its longer sibling, the Ai Nikkor 1.8/105mm, which I use occasionally.

Did you (or the camera) corect CAs, maybe automatically?? If not, it would seem the AiS 1.4/85mm has less longitudinal CAs than my Minolta AF 1.4/85mm. However your Nikkor images look also quite soft, something I'm not used to with my Minolta!

Thanks for sharing the images.

S

I didn't apply CA correction. I think the Nikkor is probably softer wide open than the Minolta. It seems softer than the Samyang 85/1.4 as well, although I should test it under more favorable light conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor Ai-s 85mm f/1.4 first images Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

I didn't apply CA correction. I think the Nikkor is probably softer wide open than the Minolta. It seems softer than the Samyang 85/1.4 as well, although I should test it under more favorable light conditions.

Interesting - thanks for the information! Would be interesting to hear the story of its development ... in a Nikkor tale for instance ... Wink

S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the images; they are a bit softer than I expected, but sharpness is not everything and I expect it would be good when used stopped down a little.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to do a little test to dive a bit more in the Nikkor's softness wide open. I suspected it to be more a matter of contrast (spherical aberration?) than a matter of sharpness really, something I've seen more often in fast Nikkor lenses.
I made the same picture @f/1.4, @f/2 and @f/2.8. Here's an overview of the image with the area selected that I use for the 100% crops:
omlijning by devoscasper, on Flickr

And here is a comparison of the crops:
cropscomparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

The image is much softer @f/1.4 than at f/2 and f/2.8. But how much of this is sharpness? Here's a comparison of the original f/1.4 crop, an 'optimized' f/1.4 crop (levels altered / unusharp mask applied), and the original f/2.8 crop:

14processed by devoscasper, on Flickr

It seems to me that the softness of the image is mostly caused by significantly reduced contrast wide open. Of course, as expected, there's some loss of detail as well but this is most prominent where colors of similar gradations border each other, which is to be expected in a lower contrast image. This could actually be considered a favorable characteristic of a portrait lens, as it allows for subtle skin color irregularities to be masked.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Congrats

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had one for a number of years and it has always come through for me. Beautifully built and sharp as a scalpel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice portrait and explanation about the behaviour of the lens.