Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

need a Soviet/Russian lens conniseur to help me choose.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: need a Soviet/Russian lens conniseur to help me choose. Reply with quote

over the last year I collected around 20 vintage lenses and most of them are soviet, but I'm not using most of them and I need some money right now and I want to sell some of them.
there are 3 50mm lenses which are very similar,
Helios 44-2 58mm f2
Helios 44M-4 58mm f2
Zenitar-M2s 50mm f2
the Helios 44M-4 is the sharpest but I'm not really looking for sharpness in these novelty lenses (I have a 50mm f1.8 fuji which is very sharp)
I only want to keep one of them, so which one should I keep? afaik all of them create swirly bokeh, I haven't tried getting that swirly bokeh yet because I don't shoot a lot of portraits.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well such assessment (without actual testing) would be hard even with new lenses due to quality variance. Now after decades it is quite impossible - lens condition comes into play. These aren't expensive lenses and selling won't make you big profit. Keep the ones you like/use and sell others.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenitar 50mm is rarer than the other two (but it's not a rare lens, or a very popular one, or special in any particular way), 44m-4 is the most common (but 44-2 is very, very common as well). Zenitar is actually the sharpest of the bunch (or is supposed to be, there can always be a bad copy), at least when you aren't only considering the center of the image. The only logical thing to do, at least in my opinion, would be to choose what you prefer to use the most. If it's a Helios, they are pretty similar and it's more about copy variation than the model. 44m-4 tend to be a tad sharper, but 44-2's got 8 aperture blades for smoother bokeh stopped down. See what matters to you the most. If you can't choose, then you can always offer them all for sale and keep the one that's left after you sell two of them.

Last edited by Dejan on Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot with them all and choose the one you enjoy the most.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of those I would keep the 44-2 but it also depends on condition of the lens and how smooth it operates. I don't really like the build quality of the newer ones very much and the fact they don't have an A/M switch like the 44m, (yeah I know there is are are 44m4 that does have one). I would only pick up the Zenitar when I find it very cheap. Ugly plastic looking thing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell blood, plasma or sperm, Keep the lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zenitar "looks cool" … I'd probably be more tempted to keep it if it was the K-mount version … other than that I'd keep the 44-2, just 'cos I've used one since they were new, I'm used to the pre-set aperture and I prefer the rounded aperture if I'm not using it wide open.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Well such assessment (without actual testing) would be hard even with new lenses due to quality variance. Now after decades it is quite impossible - lens condition comes into play. These aren't expensive lenses and selling won't make you big profit. Keep the ones you like/use and sell others.

Testing them yields same results I saw on pentax forum and on here, nothing seems out of order.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
Zenitar 50mm is rarer than the other two (but it's not a rare lens, or a very popular one, or special in any particular way), 44m-4 is the most common (but 44-2 is very, very common as well). Zenitar is actually the sharpest of the bunch (or is supposed to be, there can always be a bad copy), at least when you aren't only considering the center of the image. The only logical thing to do, at least in my opinion, would be to choose what you prefer to use the most. If it's a Helios, they are pretty similar and it's more about copy variation than the model. 44m-4 tend to be a tad sharper, but 44-2's got 8 aperture blades for smoother bokeh stopped down. See what matters to you the most. If you can't choose, then you can always offer them all for sale and keep the one that's left after you sell two of them.

Sharpness doesn't concern me at all since I'm not using those lenses for work or anything serious, honestly I'm just using them for the "swirly" bokeh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Shoot with them all and choose the one you enjoy the most.

That's probably what I'm going to do, after my exams.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Out of those I would keep the 44-2 but it also depends on condition of the lens and how smooth it operates. I don't really like the build quality of the newer ones very much and the fact they don't have an A/M switch like the 44m, (yeah I know there is are are 44m4 that does have one). I would only pick up the Zenitar when I find it very cheap. Ugly plastic looking thing.

Yeah I'll probably keep the 44-2, the edges are not sharp at all but the lens is very special I don't know why

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
Sell blood, plasma or sperm, Keep the lenses.

Lol, I like that mindset.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
The Zenitar "looks cool" … I'd probably be more tempted to keep it if it was the K-mount version … other than that I'd keep the 44-2, just 'cos I've used one since they were new, I'm used to the pre-set aperture and I prefer the rounded aperture if I'm not using it wide open.

Yeah I'll most probably leave the 44-2, there's something very special about that lens, and the A/M pin on other lenses is a pain in the A**.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of these lenses I have:
44-2
44m-4
Zenitar 50 1.7 but not f2

It seems that Zenitar 50 f2 is also a special one since it can be modified to produce very interesting and special bokeh. One of the elements needs to be rotated. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1YrVzrsmac

Besides this modification, Zenitar is a lens without special effect. My 50 1.7 is extremely sharp lens, the sharpest wide open lens that I have. It is sharper wide open than a Pentax 50 1.7 by quite some.

Similar modification can be done with 44-2, just reverse the front element (this also may depend on the factory where 44-2 was produced, some samples can't do this), but this lens is also special without modification.

44m-4 has less swirl than 44-2 and is sharper of course when going towards the edges, less swirl means more clarity towards the edges.

So if I were you I would keep 44-2. 44-2 is a small version of giant 40-2. Basically it can do lot of the magic of the bigger brother in smaller package for much less money. So you made the right decision.