Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fastest macro on earth: Porst Color Reflex MCM 55mm F1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Fastest macro on earth: Porst Color Reflex MCM 55mm F1.7 Reply with quote

Hi,
I have never spent more then 200$ for an old lens, but for this Porst Color Reflex MCM 55mm F1.7 (=Chinon) I did an exception. I think it is worth its money (around 300$).

Here are some sample pictures.

Cheers from Zurich

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's NOT a macro lens my dear Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
It's NOT a macro lens my dear Wink

Ok, I should have quoted it. That was written in the item's description of the ebay page Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess just longer focusing helicoid?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I guess just longer focusing helicoid?

Right, I use all my m42 lenses with an helicoid adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehm - why is it worth 300 bucks?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfhansen wrote:

it just more collectible than ordinary 55/1.7 lens because it has 3:1 macro. no other reason came to my mind.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nice theory on that lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/49576306@N08/sets/72157628682443963/comments/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Here's a nice theory on that lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/49576306@N08/sets/72157628682443963/comments/

Tremendous pile of information!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolan, are you happy with this lens? Could you please show some more shots in different conditions?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehemm ... just to mention from my little macro experiences,
that's quite a bad macro lens IMHO Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's DOF markings and a/m switch look like it was made by Sun. More of a close focussing 55mm than a true macro. It also comes as Chinon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Wolan, are you happy with this lens? Could you please show some more shots in different conditions?

Because of GAS I have not been using the lens for a while, but I like it a lot. WO is not the sharpest lens on earth, but it gives a unique bokeh and a special flare, when pointed directly at the sun, which I think is peculiar of this lens.

Stopped down the lens becomes very sharp and it serves you very well as a macro lens, as you typically have to stop down anyway to get more of the subject in focus.

Have fun.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the Chinon version of this lens - when I bought, I found very little info on it....

http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_4121.html

http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/319-chinon-mcm-macro-auto-55mm-f-1-7-16

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastest macro on earth: Porst Color Reflex MCM 55mm F1.7 Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi,
I have never spent more then 200$ for an old lens, but for this Porst Color Reflex MCM 55mm F1.7 (=Chinon) I did an exception. I think it is worth its money (around 300$).

Cheers from Zurich

I believe the world's fastest macro lens is the Repro Nikkor 85mm f1.0, for 1:1 shooting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastest macro on earth: Porst Color Reflex MCM 55mm F1.7 Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
wolan wrote:
Hi,

Cheers from Zurich

I believe the world's fastest macro lens is the Repro Nikkor 85mm f1.0, for 1:1 shooting.

Thanks Toby, I do not dare to ask how much it costs...

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperberry farm wrote:
when I bought, I found very little info on it....

I am still finding rarely samples made with this lens, both Porst and Chinon variety. Curiosity was at the origin of my question. I'd still love to see some more samples, at different distances.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raxar wrote:
wolfhansen wrote:

it just more collectible than ordinary 55/1.7 lens because it has 3:1 macro. no other reason came to my mind.

1:3!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Raxar wrote:
wolfhansen wrote:

1:3!

Not too much difference then, less than an order of magnitude... Twisted Evil

To be fair the lens does say Macro on the name ring as seen in the first photo http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_4694.html#prettyPhoto

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
pepperberry farm wrote:

I am still finding rarely samples made with this lens, both Porst and Chinon variety. Curiosity was at the origin of my question. I'd still love to see some more samples, at different distances.

Pepperberryfarm has what you are looking for: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperberryfarm/albums/72157712836667193

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
pepperberry farm wrote:

campus by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

southern view by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

brick by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

and some close ups:

andouille sausage by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

hoar frost by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

yarn bits by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, those are well speaking examples at various distances. Thank you for posting them here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastest macro on earth: Porst Color Reflex MCM 55mm F1.7 Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
kymarto wrote:
wolan wrote:
Hi,

Cheers from Zurich

Thanks Toby, I do not dare to ask how much it costs...

Cheers.

To necro-bump this, because why not it's relevant anyway, here's a very nice discussion in English on the FR Nikkor 75mm F1.0 for 1:1 shooting:

https://redbook-jp.com/redbook-e/record3/fr.html

There is also one, more brief, covering the Repro Nikkor 85mm f1.0 you mention.

https://redbook-jp.com/redbook-e/record/rep02.html

Check out that 150mm f1.0!!