Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-H 50mm F2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:20 am    Post subject: Nikkor-H 50mm F2 Reply with quote

I am slowly but surely sinking back into photography, adjusting to the digital age (tho believe it or not I'm not that old, barely Gen X). Traded in an XT-3 to get a full frame A7RII since 35mm Nikkormat is what I used in high school and college.

Anyhoos, I now a have small collection of 50s, the newest of which is a 50mm F2 Nikkor-H. I decided to get one after seeing some promising photos on this wonderful forum. I took some very basic photos on a walk with the intent on learning how far I can push the A7RII. I was NOT prepared for how wonderful and captivating the images would be. I absolutely love the rendering of this lens! Gonna have to grab at least one more copy while prices are still relatively reasonable.

(Some exposure/highlight correction, otherwise default settings)

F2.8 (I think)

F5.6?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same optically (except coatings) as the ai 50mm f/2, which is an excellent lens. I like more yours though (even better mechanics imo).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
The same optically (except coatings) as the ai 50mm f/2, which is an excellent lens. I like more yours though (even better mechanics imo).

I, like anothers, have some 50 mm lenses.

But the rendering of the 50/2 Nikkor is among the specials ones.

Not the sharpest. Nor the better contrast
Nor the best in colours.

But great images.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photojournalists who plied their trade in the 60s and 70s swore by this lens. I have spoken to many and read a number of reviews on these old lenses, enough to respect their attitudes and opinions. So I bought an Ai version, just so I could have one.

I haven't used mine much, but given the sort of medium most photojournalists of the 60s and 70s were using -- namely black and white film -- I suspect that there is something special about the way they render images when using the popular B&W emulsions of the day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Photojournalists who plied their trade in the 60s and 70s swore by this lens. I have spoken to many and read a number of reviews on these old lenses, enough to respect their attitudes and opinions. So I bought an Ai version, just so I could have one.

I haven't used mine much, but given the sort of medium most photojournalists of the 60s and 70s were using -- namely black and white film -- I suspect that there is something special about the way they render images when using the popular B&W emulsions of the day.

Yes.
Richard Haw has an excellent review here:
https://richardhaw.com/2019/02/17/repair-nikkor-h-50mm-f-2-auto/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite a fan of the old 58/1.4, absolutely love the rendering.
Along with the 35/2 O.C and 18/4 Ai.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor-H 50mm F2 Reply with quote

Advaita wrote:
50mm F2 Nikkor-H...Gonna have to grab at least one more copy while prices are still relatively reasonable.

It's a great old 50. I think maybe it gets lost in the great sea of Nikkors. I have an H.C Auto. I liked it enough (and they're cheap enough) to try to find an Ai version, which I eventually did. I like that one even better. The optical design is the same, but the redesigned 70s body is really well made and it has a closer minimum focusing distance.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like about the Nikkor 50/2:

- good sharpness across the frame, without having to stop down much
- good color rendering and contrast
- built like a tank, recessed front element
- smooth focusing
- good CA correction

I have the ai version though, but most will apply to the H as well. IMO It doesn't excel in anything particular compared to other lenses, but it's a predictable lens with little flaws. It's pretty good in almost everything. I can imagine why pro's back in the days liked it. And it can take a beating.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

I, like anothers, have some 50 mm lenses.

But the rendering of the 50/2 Nikkor is among the specials ones.

Not the sharpest. Nor the better contrast
Nor the best in colours.

But great images.

Yes, that's my take so far. Definitely caught me by surprise.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
What I like about the Nikkor 50/2:

- good sharpness across the frame, without having to stop down much
- good color rendering and contrast
- built like a tank, recessed front element
- smooth focusing
- good CA correction

I have the ai version though, but most will apply to the H as well. IMO It doesn't excel in anything particular compared to other lenses, but it's a predictable lens with little flaws. It's pretty good in almost everything. I can imagine why pro's back in the days liked it. And it can take a beating.

Probably best described as ".....more than the sum of its parts....."
Tom