Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 500mm f8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 500mm f8 Reply with quote

I find it on sale now, price is 60USD. As I understand, the only thing I need to adopt it to Nikon mount is TX-Nikon adapter. Who have the experience of this lense? Who produced that kind of lenses for Vivitar? What is your opinion - is it bargain or...
Thank you for any info!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar ones are sold under a variety of nameplates like quantaray, bower, opteka... There's quite a lot of info about these cheap mirror lenses online for example:

http://makingitasapro.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/lens-review-opteka-500mm-f8-mirror-lens.html

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat/lenses/35mm-primes/quantaray/500mm-f-8-0-mirror-w-macro/prd_84660_3111crx.aspx

This is a good discussion of mirror lenses by Wayne Grundy

https://advancedphototech.wordpress.com/lenses/mirror-mirror-a-guide-to-choosing-and-using-mirror-lenses/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Question: Vivitar Series 1 500mm f8 Reply with quote

MaXXXic wrote:
I find it on sale now, price is 60USD. As I understand, the only thing I need to adopt it to Nikon mount is TX-Nikon adapter. Who have the experience of this lense? Who produced that kind of lenses for Vivitar? What is your opinion - is it bargain or...
Thank you for any info!

Mirror lenses can be great and so-so, but anyway you look at it, $60 is very little for a mirror lens, even if it turns out to be so-so. I would expect this one to be at least decent.
You don't need a TX-mount. It's a T-Mount lens and T-mounts are even cheaper and easier to find than TX-mounts. The T-mount has a 42mm thread, like a M42 mount, but the thread is 0.75mm instead of 1mm. They are easy to confuse. As a matter of fact, it looks like a T-mount adapter is already in the package, I just can't tell if it's for Nikon or not.
To make a long story short, I say grab it before someone else does. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Japanese cheap ones are so so, buy rather Russian MTO or even better Rubinar 500mm MC 5.6.
In case of you I won't take it even for 60 USD.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very recent Vivitar Series 1 - long after the "Series 1" label meant anything about quality.

Back in the 1970's-early 1980's a "Series 1" lens was usually quite good of its kind, and sometimes excellent.

But after that the name was used for very ordinary products.

Marcus is right, this same lens is sold under many other brands. For a new low-cost mirror lens its a good price. The ebay price for a new one (Vivitar, Bower, Opteka, Samyang) is around $90-150.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box is filled with meaningless "selling points", indicating it's probably not that good.
" Full-time manual focus override"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that lens MF only (as the "MF" after the f/8 in the name indicates?)
"High definition" means absolutely nothing at all.
"Super Spectra Coatings" sounds very much like Canon's Super Spectra Coating used on their FD line of lenses (perhaps Canon's copyright on that name has expired?)
Topping off the list is the most creative way of saying "it's a manual focus lens with fixed-aperture" I've seen:
"Focus preset function allows circular aperture" (I guess manually setting the focus distance before you shoot can be seen as a rudimentary form of focus preset).
I'd stay away from it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sceptic wrote:
The box is filled with meaningless "selling points", indicating it's probably not that good.

Yes, you are right! There are some small mistakes even in the design of a box, meaning it can be just fake Vivitar from China market or else. Now I asked the seller about extra photos of a T-mount aadapter and a front amd back side of a lense with serial number. We'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaXXXic wrote:
sceptic wrote:

Yes, you are right! There are some small mistakes even in the design of a box, meaning it can be just fake Vivitar from China market or else. Now I asked the seller about extra photos of a T-mount adapter and a front and back side of a lens with serial number. We'll see.

I think that lens is manufactured by Samyang. Price is very good if lens is new.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think it's a Samyang, this blogger has one and thinks the same.

http://marcsabatella.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/vivitar-5008-mirror-lens.html

I wasn't greatly impressed with the Samyang that I had briefly, but I also have a Canon FD, Minolta and Tamron 500 / 8 mirror lenses. SO comparing the Samyang to any of those will make it seem a bit worse than it probably is.
My biggest issue with the Samyang is the very short throw of the focusing ring, again compared to the other lenses, which makes it hard to focus.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that even fit Nikon without dreaded optical element?

Unless you need the compactness or anti-bokeh, Wundertüte 500/8 are cheaper and probably better. Or 400mm some even with AF.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
Does that even fit Nikon without dreaded optical element?

This is all you need to mount this lens on a Nikon body:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/261260-REG/Celestron_93402_T_Mount_SLR_Camera_Adapter.html
Such an adapter seems to be sold with the lens in question anyway.
The film to flange distance of the T-mount is 55mm, 9mm more than the Nikon F-mount's 46mm. So you get infinity focus without any optical element. More about the T-mount:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-mount

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my version of that lens. Same same, but different Wink

I think it´s an earlier version. Says "Korea" on the bottom. Test shots are not very convincing. It looks like astigmatism, it is not entirely sharp, despite my best efforts. Plus poor color depiction and low contrast. I would have never bought it, but it was content of a sort of surprise package I got rather cheap.

It´s still some fun. Especially on a Micro 4/3 camera, this is a real spy lens Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1