Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Schacht Ulm Travegon 85mm 4.5 on a7rii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: A Schacht Ulm Travegon 85mm 4.5 on a7rii Reply with quote

I threatened this a couple of days ago on the Travenar 135mm 3.5 thread. This tiny enlarger lens is single coated I think and has IIRC a 30mm x 0.5 thread. I had a 30 to m42 adapter handy so easy adaptation. It has a round diaphragm at all stops so, though I didn't count them, I think at least 13 blades. I got it amongst a group of 7 enlarger lenses that I paid around 60 for. Most of these are wide open but some of the holly were at 5.6.

As you can see from these untouched (save oreintation and resized for site) it lacks contrast which is easily boosted in post. I think it renders nicely and has nice bokeh. Of course it does welll in the macro range.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Here is another of my cat Kiko.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Thanks!
Here is another of my cat Kiko.

Very nice image. Looks like a capable lens!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, within its limitations.... it hates backlighting. Contrast drops precipitously with any sort of lighter area behind subject. It is, at best, single coated. It suffers veiling flare with a light source in the general direction of the subject. I should fab a hood for it.

It is really really small.

Here it is side by side with "tiny" pancake, legendary olympus om 40mm f2.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really lovely! Could you tell us what the flange distance is, or post a picture mounted to the camera? Might this be a serious pancake candidate Smile ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that I had mis-labeled this, it is actually a travenon lens. I am not sure what the different Schact suffixes mean. Trravenar, travegon travegar, travelon and travenon. If anybody knows that would be something I would love to hear about. I have some Exakta mount travenon and travenar lenses and a few travegar enlarger lenses. This creates a search issue I was wondering if the title can be corrected? Klaus?

Also a few more shots with better light.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I noticed that I had mis-labeled this, it is actually a travenon lens. I am not sure what the different Schact suffixes mean. Trravenar, travegon travegar, travelon and travenon. If anybody knows that would be something I would love to hear about. I have some Exakta mount travenon and travenar lenses and a few travegar enlarger lenses. This creates a search issue I was wondering if the title can be corrected? Klaus?

Also a few more shots with better light.

Excellent - love the colors and look of this shot!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no precise info on the name variatons, but the Ulm where the maker was based is by the river Trave, and judging from other common lens names travegon migt be the wide version Travenon possibly a xenon copy and travenar the tessar copy.

p.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. Unlike the crazy names isco has come up with.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISCO=Joseph schneider et co might have been proud to be in the west of Germany so westrogon might have been a challenge to the VEBs and DDR especially since one of their scientists and lens designers fled and joined ISCO.

p.