Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya EF 50/1.4 vs Yashica ML 55/2.8 maco @ infinity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Mamiya EF 50/1.4 vs Yashica ML 55/2.8 maco @ infinity Reply with quote

Camera used: Sony A7RII

First, an oversight with the crop areas (clickable for full size; image taken with Mamiya at f/5.6)
Overzicht by devoscasper, on Flickr

First the Mamiya @ f/1.4 and f/2:
Comparison14 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Comparison2 by devoscasper, on Flickr

The Mamiya shows respectable detail in the center @ f/1.4. At f/2 softness is pretty much gone.

Comparison @ f/2.8:
Comparison28 by devoscasper, on Flickr

At f/2.8, the Mamiya is clearly better in the center, but the Yashica shows more detail in the corners.

Comparison @ f/4:
Comparison4 by devoscasper, on Flickr

The Yashica improves quite a bit in the center, but doesn't match the crispiness of the Mamiya. In the corners more detail from the Yashica.

Comparison@ f/5.6:
Comparison56 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Contrast of the Mamiya remains better, but the Yashica has remarkable detail resolution in the corners.

Comparison @f8 and f/11:
Comparison8 by devoscasper, on Flickr

comparison11 by devoscasper, on Flickr

At f/11, the Mamiya starts to suffer a bit from diffraction. The Yashica is a very good in the corners at both aperture settings.

Conclusion:I wouldn't hesitate to use both lenses for landscapes. The Yashica may need some additional post processing to match the crispiness of the Mamiya; I don't think though that I have any other lens in this focal range that resolves the same amount of corner detail as the Yashica. I fact, I think the Mamiya is probably my 2nd best lens in this regard. Despite one of the lenses being a macro, and the other one being fast, they are both compact and easy to carry around. Two of my favorite lenses for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, this test proves once again how many urban legends have been fed by manuals, magazines, the web; macro lenses are not good for long distances, very bright lenses are not suitable for working at closed apertures, and so on. The truth is that every lens is a story in itself, and general statements are of little value.

P.S.
Better said, any lens/camera combination is a story in itself, in these digital days.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here the sharing of information about the photographers are quite tremendous and wise. I hope after getting the help on your blog people would able to boost the best resume writing services australia reviews here. Continue with your work here that is quite supportive for everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like wide-open, in the corners the Yashica actually has a sharper core-image than the Mamiya, but with higher residual SA. Perhaps not surprising given it is a macro-lens not optimised for infinity.

Stopped down both lenses perform admirably, as expected for this focal length.

The Yashica has a noticeably cooler colour rendering though.

Nice to see a different setting by the way; I was getting way too familiar with Amersfoort & surroundings Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Looks like wide-open, in the corners the Yashica actually has a sharper core-image than the Mamiya, but with higher residual SA. Perhaps not surprising given it is a macro-lens not optimised for infinity.

I guess you're right.

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Nice to see a different setting by the way; I was getting way too familiar with Amersfoort & surroundings Wink

Yes, I was also happy to leave 😊. I'm currently in Plan d'Aups in the Sainte Baume mountains (not far from Marseille).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comparison. I wonder how you adapted Mamiya EF lens. Is there an adapter from Mamiya EF to Sony E? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Thanks for the comparison. I wonder how you adapted Mamiya EF lens. Is there an adapter from Mamiya EF to Sony E? Thanks.

Yes, there’s a Photodiox Pro adapter.