Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flektogon 35/2,8 rarity or Frankenstein ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Flektogon 35/2,8 rarity or Frankenstein ? Reply with quote

Hello I ve this Flektogon 35/2.8 with 14 blades ( instead of 12) and minimum focusing at 0,35m instead of 0,36m is it un curiosity ( rarity) or is it something modified ?
Thanks and sorry for my poor English

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last pic looks like there is some black touchup paint, is that what I'm seeing?
My Flektogon 35 in Exakta goes down to .35m, but there is more space between 0.35 and ft/m markings.
It also only has 12 blades.

Zeiss did a number of different versions and a number of different mounts, way more than I thought they had, when looking for a mint version without the wing/arm that Exakta usually has, took a long while to find it, seen a ton of variations, same with the Biotar 58/2, lots of versions, almost as bad as Helios 44, there is different mount styles in m42, different aperture ring markings(lines vs no lines), different aperture values(2.4 & 2.Cool, and yes, different MFD markings, I didn't even notice the aperture ring marking till I lined up my 35/2.8, 58/2 and 80/2.8 together, then I spotted a Flek35 like mine but it had T coating, which I didn't think was available in the body like mine.

Post some more pics of the lens, I'm sure the lens addicts group has seen a sizeable number of them, well let you know if it looks legit or not.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Tessar has 14 blades.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
The last pic looks like there is some black touchup paint, is that what I'm seeing?
My Flektogon 35 in Exakta goes down to .35m, but there is more space between 0.35 and ft/m markings.
It also only has 12 blades.

Zeiss did a number of different versions and a number of different mounts, way more than I thought they had, when looking for a mint version without the wing/arm that Exakta usually has, took a long while to find it, seen a ton of variations, same with the Biotar 58/2, lots of versions, almost as bad as Helios 44, there is different mount styles in m42, different aperture ring markings(lines vs no lines), different aperture values(2.4 & 2.Cool, and yes, different MFD markings, I didn't even notice the aperture ring marking till I lined up my 35/2.8, 58/2 and 80/2.8 together, then I spotted a Flek35 like mine but it had T coating, which I didn't think was available in the body like mine.

Post some more pics of the lens, I'm sure the lens addicts group has seen a sizeable number of them, well let you know if it looks legit or not.

It s a m42 version and yes it s black because it has been cut ( why ? I don t know) at the end of the tread
I m gonna post more pics

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Could it be Tessar blades ?
And for the minimum focusing distance ? From Tessar to ? I don t think but maybe I m wrong !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Th copy om m42lens.com also has a .35m cfd and has 12 blades, but there are also versions with nine blades. Different versions were made. http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1547-carl-zeiss-jena-flektogon-35mm-f-2-8-16-alu-v1-12-blades

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMDBill wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

Could it be Tessar blades ?
And for the minimum focusing distance ? From Tessar to ? I don t think but maybe I m wrong !

MFD and body is obviously possible and proper but 14 blades pose some questions and advise caution.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Th copy om m42lens.com also has a .35m cfd and has 12 blades, but there are also versions with nine blades. Different versions were made. http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/1547-carl-zeiss-jena-flektogon-35mm-f-2-8-16-alu-v1-12-blades

I know for 9 or 12 blades but mine is 14 and when I compare it with this photo i notice some difference : the front black rim is shorter , there is a red dot for the aperture selected and the space between aperture and selector is wider

i

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back of it is also different

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything that screams fake, just some unusual things, blade count being the biggest, but definitely not definitive, reduction of manufacturing complexity could easily explain the many variations in the mount area.
The blades look properly/evenly spaced, if it was customized they did a good job.

I guess the easiest thing to do is take some shots with it, if it's anywhere half decent it's likely legit.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the serial in the Thiele Fabrikationsbuch. This Flektogon 35mm F2.8 for M42 is ok. It is from 1953.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMDBill wrote:

It looks like someone used a file on the rear section.
If that's the case it probably looked like this one:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/m42-czj-carl-zeiss-jena-flektogon-414050406
Your serial: 3874927
Their serial: 3967002

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

räuber wrote:
I looked up the serial in the Thiele Fabrikationsbuch. This Flektogon 35mm F2.8 for M42 is ok. It is from 1953.

Thanks
Nice information

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
AMDBill wrote:

It looks like someone used a file on the rear section.
If that's the case it probably looked like this one:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/m42-czj-carl-zeiss-jena-flektogon-414050406
Your serial: 3874927
Their serial: 3967002

You are very helpful, mine is very similar to this one event for the mfd (0,35m) and for the blades

I did photos few years ago and in my memory it was pretty good, I m gonna try it again if my eyes problems permits it

Is it more collectible ( valuable ) than a common one ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume it's a bit more valuable/rare being 14 blade.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would happen if you'd put Flektogon front glass over Tessar lens design?