Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How I went hiking in the 90s (Hexanon 50mm f1.7)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:19 am    Post subject: How I went hiking in the 90s (Hexanon 50mm f1.7) Reply with quote

I want to share some images of a larger series I took 1992 on a four day hiking tour in the Austrian Alps. I was 20 then and together with a couple of friends, we really were into photography and mountains.

I had with me an Autoreflex TC, an Autoreflex FC-1, two 50 Hexanons, the Vivitar 24mm f2, the Vivitar 135mm f2.3 and the Vivitar 200mm f3. Probably even the 90-180mm f4.5 Flat Field Zoom I was truly in love with back then. And a good Manfrotto tripod which I carried strapped to the side of the backpack.

Scanning slides is really a great thing. With a large collection, it can take years. I started 2017 and I´m still not done. But I gain back memories I didn´t even know I still had. In this case, I remembered a few remarkable things Wink

- On that tour I swore to myself I would never again stuff so much photo equipment in my backpack on such a long tour. It was simply too heavy.
- Thinking along the same line, I wanted more lightweight camera equipment. Olympus was said to be just that, and a few months later, I bought a used Olympus OM-3 (I was unhappy anyway that Konica stopped building "proper" sfuff).
- Only from this series of pictures I remembered that I once had a FC-1. I liked this body a lot. It is on one of the pics of the series.
- I need to go hiking again. Properly. Not strolls... and with light equipment.

All images taken with the Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.7. Except for #4, because that must have been made with the 24mm Vivitar.
#1 is out of competition. It´s not entirely sharp, but it´s that combination of the look on my face and the heavy backpack with the tripod that illustrates the point of regained memory.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Gerhard! Like 1 small

That was my dad's post-retirement project, scanning all his slides. (well, still is, several years in and he's not quite finished scanning yet Wink )

Brought back my memories of holidays with my parents too, as you are discovering yourself!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know why the pictures look so familiar to me: I've spent my vacation last September in the "Gasteinertal". Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerhard, on this occasion I've compared my pictures from the "Pasterze" (Großglockner) from now and my last visit apprx. 20 years ago.
A rather huge difference. Most probably in another 20 years from now the ice is gone.

Apparently we are the only 2 Austrians here at the moment, where is your home?
I am originally Viennese and now I am spending my retirement in Burgenland next Neusiedler See.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!
Especially #4.

Like 1 Like 1

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Fantastic Gerhard! Like 1 small

That was my dad's post-retirement project, scanning all his slides. (well, still is, several years in and he's not quite finished scanning yet Wink )

Brought back my memories of holidays with my parents too, as you are discovering yourself!

Thank you very much!

Yes, it really is a time machine. Not only for me, as I´m sharing them with my family and friends who were involved back then. You certainly know how cumbersome duplicating slides was in analog times? Now it´s finally a possibility. And in addition, they are so easily accessible. No more slide projector, screen, darkening necessary. So in leisure times, I constantly return looking through those silly old stuff Mr. Green

Last edited by ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars on Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Now I know why the pictures look so familiar to me: I've spent my vacation last September in the "Gasteinertal". Wink

Yes Thomas, that´s the area. We started in Hüttschlag, stayed one night on Sticklerhütte, went high above the Kölnbreinsperre towards Osnabrücker Hütte and via Ankogel to Hannover Haus. It was a four days hiking tour with many stops for photographing. The whole area is really worth a stay.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Gerhard, on this occasion I've compared my pictures from the "Pasterze" (Großglockner) from now and my last visit apprx. 20 years ago.
A rather huge difference. Most probably in another 20 years from now the ice is gone.

Apparently we are the only 2 Austrians here at the moment, where is your home?
I am originally Viennese and now I am spending my retirement in Burgenland next Neusiedler See.

Thomas, I´m probably not far away. My place is in Lower Austria near Baden. I am born in Vienna, but my parents moved when I was 7 and I grew up here.
Speaking of being the only two Austrians in this forum - I also found this place more by mistake. At least considering the prices for old glass, there must be many more MF photographers out there in our area Laughing

Coming back to the Pasterze glacier, I have found two images from 1988. Taken very probably with my father´s Autoreflex T (the first model with the sucking little turn knob on the backside for on/off) and a Hexanon 52mm f1.8. And I just found one of those images needs a better dust removal, but it will have to wait. They´re worth a re-scan with the 4100ppi scanner anyway soon. However... when I visited the place again some few years in the past, the glacier was almost completely gone.

Last edited by ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars on Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Well done!
Especially #4.

Like 1 Like 1

-D.S.

Thank you!

It´s the Vivitar 24mm f2. I took this lens last month on a one-day hike to see what it can do and found it very prone to contrast loss when pointed towards the sun. However, if one keeps that in mind, it can do fine things even wide open.

Last edited by ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars on Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Gerhard.

Yep, that's not far away. My last station was Mödling, before I moved to Burgenland. Wink

Although I've got some very good film scanners for both 135 and 120 film I already gave up to scan all these old slides. That's really bothersome and time consuming.

Indeed there are many people using old film lenses on digital cameras in our area as well, but obviously the english language here is a big hurdle for many people.

Since I've joined this forum 12 years ago you're the second Austrian besides me. Wink
Actually the 3rd guy from Upper Austria left the forum already several years ago, I don't know why.

I'm actually on different lenses compared to you as you might see in my signature, since my roots are with Minolta.

However, maybe we can meet somewhere sometimes to exchange some experiences.

Have fun,

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related to this last image I just posted - sometimes I’m a bit unhappy how the resized 1600x1200 jpegs look here in the forum. This one is sharp in the middle in 24mp original solution, but it looks kind of dull now. I’d be very thankful for some advice how to improve this:-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:
Related to this last image I just posted - sometimes I’m a bit unhappy how the resized 1600x1200 jpegs look here in the forum. This one is sharp in the middle in 24mp original solution, but it looks kind of dull now. I’d be very thankful for some advice how to improve this:-)

Well, I'm posting downsized to 2048px on the long side but my pictures still look somehow unsharp within the threads. There is nothing you can do about.
However, to see them in a better quality you have to click on the pictures which will present them in a new window in original size.
Sometimes I give this hint as a comment in my postings, like "picture clickable for best quality viewing" or alike. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Thomas, I was already wondering if it´s "me". I´ll try the next set with 1920 width. Maybe that helps a bit without wasting too much space on MFLenses´server.

Interestingly enough, in fall last year I bought a Zuiko from a guy from Upper Austria who was shooting manual lenses on a Fuji APS-C.
Never mind the different roots. I agree, we should meet some time.
That thing with the scanning is, never to let it become a burden. I have still a lot waiting, but I´m currently not into that. But this might change next month or the one after.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gerhard

Private message sent.