Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

D-810
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: D-810 Reply with quote

Finally made a decision, and finally got a full frame.
It's a Nikon D-810.
It looks like it was drug from K.C./MO. to D-FW/TX. by a crazed mule.
The insides are surprisingly clean for a camera that has seen such rough use.
I paid a price I figure I can live with, which turns out to be about a third of current flea-pay pricing.

From the few frames I did with it today, I can state with conviction that full frame is the best way for me to do justice with film era m/f lenses.
The renderings and character of this old glass become crystal clear with this format.

I'll have pix of the camera up in the next 2 days or so- pretty wiped from deciphering the manual, and wading through sub sub-menu's...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There it is with it's 502 (!) page manual and box.

It's wearing one of my favorite nikkor lenses here- the old "K" variant 85mm f1.8

There's a heavy crop of one of the first images taken with the new to me camera.

Original image re-sized only to fit this page...
Nikkor 85mm f1.8 at f8 and 1/125 sec, ISO 400.

Impressive, especially compared to what I was doing before.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using the camera for almost 3 weeks, and shooting while I can, I have to say I am impressed.
For m/f lens use, it is hard to beat.

There are some handling foibles that I am still getting used to.
The formation of the grip has me hitting the "function" button next to the lens mount quite a bit.
I accidentally turned on the framing lines in that manner. I don't really mind them, but could do without the red light on them when the shutter trips.

The quick access buttons on top of the camera speed up the basics quite a bit.
I don't have to scroll through menu's to set ISO or W/B.
Finding things on the camera is still a bit of a learning experience.
I am using the manual quite a bit.

The images made with it are surprisingly good.
I have a bit more freedom to concentrate on focusing, which I like a lot.

The big eye-piece on the viewfinder could use an eye-cup. I find stray light reflecting back into my eye in bright winter scenes.
I may have one around here some where for the F-3 that should fit..

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier this year, I opted to sell my D500, along with come DX lenses, and get a used D810. I have no regret at all. It's been a great camera so far, and I love the quietness vis-a-vis my D750 and D610 models. Mine came to me via UsedPhotoPro with only 1470 clicks on the shutter. The condition was like new, and the customer guy stated that my D810 had been trade fodder for a new D850.

Right now I'm using it with a Nikkor 70-180 f/4.5-5.6 AF Micro; great combination.

Enjoy!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the D810 accept pre-AI lenses? And, if so, are there any notable limitations imposed with their use?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility says NO.

Looks hard to focus with lenses faster than f/3.5? (I think kitty should be more in-focus) Surely Nikon has a faster focus screen replacement, but like Canon's is probably a bit darker with apertures smaller than f/5.6 or so...

Otherwise a VERY nice camera! Congrats

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
After using the camera for almost 3 weeks, and shooting while I can, I have to say I am impressed.
For m/f lens use, it is hard to beat.

There are some handling foibles that I am still getting used to.
The formation of the grip has me hitting the "function" button next to the lens mount quite a bit.
I accidentally turned on the framing lines in that manner. I don't really mind them, but could do without the red light on them when the shutter trips.

The quick access buttons on top of the camera speed up the basics quite a bit.
I don't have to scroll through menu's to set ISO or W/B.
Finding things on the camera is still a bit of a learning experience.
I am using the manual quite a bit.

The images made with it are surprisingly good.
I have a bit more freedom to concentrate on focusing, which I like a lot.

The big eye-piece on the viewfinder could use an eye-cup. I find stray light reflecting back into my eye in bright winter scenes.
I may have one around here some where for the F-3 that should fit..

-D.S.

Like 1

Glad you like your camera. I am an admirer of old Nikon and old Canon myself though I have always used Pentax. If you could post more pictures using manual focus Nikon lenses, they would show its ability to show such lenses to best advantage.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility says NO.

Looks hard to focus with lenses faster than f/3.5? (I think kitty should be more in-focus) Surely Nikon has a faster focus screen replacement, but like Canon's is probably a bit darker with apertures smaller than f/5.6 or so...

Otherwise a VERY nice camera! Congrats

I think the cat photo is blurred from slow shutter speed and camera shake.
I was not dressed properly for the conditions, and was shivering a bit.
I took the frames of the tamron 500 in it's thread, to get an idea of the capabilities of the 85mm 1.8.
Almost everything I've posted in the last 3 weeks were taken with the D-810, and I think most of the images are in the digital gallery forum.

-D.S.

Last edited by Doc Sharptail on Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Will the D810 accept pre-AI lenses? And, if so, are there any notable limitations imposed with their use?

It has the non-folding AI aperture tab, so the pre-AI nikkors must be converted to AI.
I have an S.C. 50mm 1.4 that I'm itching to get on this camera.
I'll probably end up doing the conversion myself, once I can get the proper screw-drivers.
Most 3rd party pre-AI lenses will mount on it with little trouble.

-D.S.