Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica AR 50mm f/1.7 + A7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Konica AR 50mm f/1.7 + A7 Reply with quote

A couple quick pics at lunch with the A7 and Konica AR 50mm f/1.7:

A7 @ 1/800, ISO100, Konica AR 50mm f/1.7 @ 2.8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you had a very nice lunch, and have a very nice lens & camera combo. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics from the versatile Konica AR 50mm f/1.7:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same combo and it's excellent, sharp, contrasty and very nice colors... only I have modded my 50/1.7 by adding f2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos!
am still waiting on this lens for my A7.
Eagerly awaiting now. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures, I do like mine too, the 55 macro is also worth getting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great captures on the A7. I love this lens on my a6000.

This is one lens that lived up to its reputation and internet hype.
After learning about it, I was fortunate to find both copies, the EE and AE for the price of lunch.
There are opinions on which is the better version, but I couldn't see a difference. Both are razor sharp and rendering is superb.
The older EE has the edge with half stops for the aperture.

For those of you seeking one, you won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! just got mine (AE) version yesterday.
Was quite fungused but now is clean and of course it started raining booo.
Went out for a go anyway and it is as has been said.
A wonderful bit of gear.

both at 1.7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!
Really good. Good catch
OH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Shots!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of this lens is not as good as my Rokkors , MC 50 1.4 PG and MD 50 2 . I am disappointed because of the hype on that lens on the forums. So I ask myself if I should try another one. Perhaps is it simply that those 50mms are good?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeardsAreBest wrote:
Yay! just got mine (AE) version yesterday.

There are two versions of this lens, and both have AE on the aperture ring. A small percentage of the first version were made with EE (green) on the aperture ring, but that's just a few months worth out of a production span of 4 years.
If the SN is on the front of the lens, you've got the first version (larger), if it's on the barrel near the mount, it's the second (compact).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
My copy of this lens is not as good as my Rokkors , MC 50 1.4 PG and MD 50 2 . I am disappointed because of the hype on that lens on the forums. So I ask myself if I should try another one. Perhaps is it simply that those 50mms are good?

You have a bad copy of the Hexanon then. I have Rokkors 2/45, 2/50, 1.7/50 and 1.4/50 as well as Hexanons 1.8/40, 1.8/50, 1.4/50, 1.4/57, 1.7/50.

There should be very little discernable differences between equivalent Rokkor and Hexanon. The Hexanon 1.7/50 is probably the sharpest of them all however, closely followed by the Rokkor 1.7/50.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

I think that your other 50mm's are good.
How does your AR50mm disappoint?
Sharpness? Colour? Bokeh? Handling?
Interested in your experience with this lens
OH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
memetph wrote:

I think that your other 50mm's are good.
How does your AR50mm disappoint?
Sharpness? Colour? Bokeh? Handling?
Interested in your experience with this lens
OH

Sharpness. I bought this lens because of its reputation for sharpness.

I have just received it and made a comparison test between the following lenses at f2 and f5.6 with an A7 ( a wall from 10 meters):
Hexanon 50 1.7 SMC Tak 55 2, Pentax M 50 1.4, Rokkor MD 50 2 (last version), Rokkor MC 50 PG 1.4 and a Pancolar Zebra
All those lenses perform well at f5.6
The best in the center at f2 is the Rokkor MC 1.4 followed by the Pentax 1.4 . Not the sharpest in the center, the MD 50 f2 is the best across the frame, corners being acceptable.
My Hexanon is really poor at this aperture especially the corners are terrible.

Both of my Rokkors are very good lens and the 50 f2 is clearly underrated .

I expect nice coulours from Hexanons in general. Handling is the weak point ( aperture ring). I ask myself if I should try to buy another Hexanon 50 1.7. Perhaps I got a lemon ( decentered ?).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

I have just received it and made a comparison test between the following lenses at f2 and f5.6 with an A7 ( a wall from 10 meters):
Hexanon 50 1.7 SMC Tak 55 2, Pentax M 50 1.4, Rokkor MD 50 2 (last version), Rokkor MC 50 PG 1.4 and a Pancolar Zebra
The best in the center at f2 is the Rokkor MC 1.4 followed by the Pentax 1.4 . Not the sharpest in the center, the MD 50 f2 is the best across the frame, corners being acceptable.

I expect nice coulours from Hexanons in general. Handling is the weak point ( aperture ring). I ask myself if I should try to buy another Hexanon 50 1.7. Perhaps I got a lemon (decentered ?).

This lens was one of the best 50mm lenses available at the time it was produced and it's reputation is based primarily upon sharpness. If your exemplar leads you to use words like "terrible" I would say that, yes, you definitely have a lemon.
I gather from your comments that you have the early, larger, version, as the aperture rings on them can be a bit hard. The Rokkors are much better in this regard. I believe it has to do with the size of the detent ball, which is very small on the Hexanons.
I live in PL and have a couple of dozen of them. I can mail a couple for you to try out, with a buy option if you so wish. Shipping on you - on me if you buy. PM me if interested.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my hexanon 50/1.7 is super sharp in the center at f2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
memetph wrote:

I expect nice coulours from Hexanons in general. Handling is the weak point ( aperture ring). I ask myself if I should try to buy another Hexanon 50 1.7. Perhaps I got a lemon (decentered ?).

This lens was one of the best 50mm lenses available at the time it was produced and it's reputation is based primarily upon sharpness. If your exemplar leads you to use words like "terrible" I would say that, yes, you definitely have a lemon.
I gather from your comments that you have the early, larger, version, as the aperture rings on them can be a bit hard. The Rokkors are much better in this regard. I believe it has to do with the size of the detent ball, which is very small on the Hexanons.
I live in PL and have a couple of dozen of them. I can mail a couple for you to try out, with a buy option if you so wish. Shipping on you - on me if you buy. PM me if interested.

Thanks it is nice from you.
Pracuje w Warszawie . Wiec bedzie latwe. Jestem francuzem ( jak Pan ?)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Thanks it is nice from you.
Pracuje w Warszawie . Wiec bedzie latwe. Jestem francuzem ( jak Pan ?)

Moi aussi Smile Since you live in WAW, let's meet up. PM sent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the compact or later version. Have not used the former model.
I have a rokkor 55mm 1.8 that i thought was the sharpest of my 50's but this little hexanon goes very close and handles the colours better IMHO.
Loving it already. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have a bad copy. Perhaps an error in assembly.
If you're seeking a sharp 50, then it's worth trying another one.

A have a number of Hexanons and they are all sharp.
I concur with an earlier post that the Hexanon 1.7 just edges out a MD Rokkor-X 1.7. With my Super Takumar 55 f1.8 coming in 3rd.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

Definitely a faulty lens. No Hexanon is really poor at any aperture.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I will insist and buy another one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide open with a little movement of the web from the wind.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, OH!

This thread inspired me - I just took mine out today. Will post some samples later.