Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

hi res large format with digital on the cheap
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: hi res large format with digital on the cheap Reply with quote

https://petapixel.com/2021/09/21/diy-ultra-high-res-digital-photos-with-a-large-format-camera/

I have been planning to do something along these lines but I would use a motion control platen at the back. Ahhh.... when money comes in the mail the projects I will attempt.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah fun little experiment there. I confess to have enjoyed stitching with ~9 images in effort to reproduce parallax error to make sh1t look weird, If I had a spare room / garage would be fun to play with still life subjects Smile

Do it!

Then post about it here so we can cheer you Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: hi res large format with digital on the cheap Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2021/09/21/diy-ultra-high-res-digital-photos-with-a-large-format-camera/

I have been planning to do something along these lines but I would use a motion control platen at the back. Ahhh.... when money comes in the mail the projects I will attempt.

I've started making a sliding adapter for my 5x4, but I think I should have just stuck to a simpler fixed model. At the rate I'm going I'll have retired long before it's usable!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I got the A7Rm4, I used Super-Resolution technique to improve image sharpness and color fidelity. Both the pixel-shift and SR technology can result in higher MP count, but they do it in different ways. Pixel-shift moves the sensor by fixed sub-pixel amounts, while SR assumes the subject is moved by random fractional-pixel amounts. With enough samples, the SR can give a good 2x linear (4x in pixels) increase in resolution. The A7Rm4 can give a similar 2x linear by taking a 4x4 array of shots. Of course it is not a MF camera, though with its 61MP native sensor, the resulting image is ~240MP, similar to these MF results.

I have also done a few types of stack and stitch to achieve MF-like results, and with this technique the result is similar in perspective to what you'd get with a true MF camera. I've shot many S&S shots with an 18MP APS-C sensor, with ~90MP final images. I did most of these with "subject pan" technique, where the camera and lens was moved across the coin, with lighting fixed relative to the coin. I recently modified my system to allow "sensor pan" technique, which moves the camera across the image circle of the lens, holding the lens, coin, and lighting fixed. This is more like a true MF result, but in this case it is not with the addition of any resolution-enhancing technique, so the final image is still in the ~90MP range.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done pixel-shifted multispectral closeup images with my OLYMPUS M5 MkII camera back then (camera tokk 8 shots in total and processed it in-camera) and achieved 120MB images, quite good in terms of increase of megapixles but with slightly overall loss of sharpness (when clients requested larger resolved imges) - haven't really used it since.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://maxrottersman.medium.com/large-format-digital-photography-through-my-digitiler-8a94a1099379

This is another approach to get similar results. I haven't tried any of these options yet.