Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HELP NEEDED: Enna Tele Ennalyt f/2.8 135mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: HELP NEEDED: Enna Tele Ennalyt f/2.8 135mm Reply with quote

I received an old (zebra, not the plastic one!) Enna Tele Ennalyt f/2.8 135mm.
It was sold as defective, with "focusing problem".
Unfortunately the problem had nothing to do with the focusing helicoid, or the infinity setting.
The image is not properly focused on the ground glass because the spacer ring that sits between the two front lenses is missing!!
I reported my early findings on this thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/any-experience-with-wrongly-reassembled-sonnars-t74523.html

The lens is a simplified Sonnar, with three air spaced elements in front of the iris.
I know there are tinkerers out there, people who buy old german optics, and clean/restore them.
If you own the same lens, and see dust/haze inside... this would be the perfect time to open the front retaining ring and take care of that! Smile
The front ring has no indents for a lens spanner, but it's not so difficult to open it with a rubber cap or a caliper.
If a nice soul decides to do it, now or later, please take the measure of the height of the first, thicker ring, and post it here.
I can have the ring redone by a friend, and the lens would be given a new lease of life.

Please don't ask why a didn't return it, i should have payed for the shipment, which would be very close to what i payed for the lens.
I prefer to be optimistic, and ask for help from fellow photographers/collectors...

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it is not a Sonnar, it's a simplified double gauss.

Wish you luck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a simplified Sonnar... but a true telephoto design.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.
I stand corrected Smile
BTW, i've just removed the first element at the front. It was the one that was rattling inside the barrel. I didn't go further cause the other glasses didn't need cleaning, so i left everything else in place.
Looking at the reflections of the glasses in front of the iris, i saw the evidence of three air spaced elements at the front.
From the back i saw two air spaced elements.
All that made me think of a simplified Sonnar, but i should have known better. As far as i remember no simplified Sonnar is faster than f/3.5. Isn't it?

If a nice fellow decides that it's time to clean his Tele Ennalyt (zebra), please check the size of the first spacer ring.
Thanks.

I found a black plastic Tele Ennalyt for very cheap, but i'm not sure if the optical project is exactly the same.
I don't want to spend more money if i'm not certain about the result!
I tend to develop a strange kind of attachment for my vintage lenses, and the older they are, the more eager i am to restore them to their former glory.
Though i'm trying my best to use some common sense, and in this case i guess it is better to give time to time, and wait for a gentle soul who buys/owns the same lens, and for some reason needs to open it.

cheers

P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Here...

Where did you get this pic?
Is it a generic example, or specific to the Tele Ennalyt?
I think there is a booklet, published in Germany and probably already sold out, which lists all the Enna lenses.
Did you scan the lens cut-out from that book?

Thanks

Paolo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the same lens as my Corfield?

http://iloapp.new4m.com/data/_gallery/public/247/141658496439170800_resized.jpg?width=1366&height=911

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

http://iloapp.new4m.com/data/_gallery/public/247/141658496439170800_resized.jpg?width=1366&height=911

Very very similar but not identical.Slightly different engravings on DOF scale, and very different adapter ring. Mine has a T2 adapter for M42 thread mount. Yours has a thicker adapter... for which camera?
Here is my lens:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the same lens. Mine is custom made for the British camera maker Corfield with m39 mount and 28,8mm flange focal distance Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
Very very similar but not identical.Slightly different engravings on DOF scale, and very different adapter ring. Mine has a T2 adapter for M42 thread mount. Yours has a thicker adapter... for which camera?

No, not a T2 adapter, it is specifically made by Enna for their own lenses. Similar idea behind, also with
three set screws, but not a standard T2-mount!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Here...

Are you sure this optical layout belongs to the zebra version?
The front lens is bigger than the second one.
In my zebra version the two lenses seem to have a similar diameter, while the black plastic version has a slightly tapered barrel, and from the external shape it seems that the front lens could possibly be bigger

What's the source of the pic you posted?
I'm very interested...

Thanks

Paolo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Here...

I unreversed my rear element on the plastic version. That cleared up most of the extreme softness of the lens. Some joker had reversed it... Strangely that didn't totally screw up focus. Just very soft. Extreme field curvature.