Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rokkor PF 55mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Rokkor PF 55mm f/2 Reply with quote

I was pleasantly surprised by this lens. It has character, nice bokeh and pretty good sharpness as well.
Best part is, somebody gave it away for free (including camera).

KLEINRokkorPF552386 by devoscasper, on Flickr

KleinRokkorPF552398 by devoscasper, on Flickr

KLEINRokkorPF55f2382 by devoscasper, on Flickr

100% crop:
RokkorPF55f2382crop by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful portrait and nice rendering .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took out this lens today. Double click for full size images:

@f/8:
RokkorPF552DSC04305 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Very good detail & quite pleasant foreground bokeh.

@f/2:
RokkorPF552DSC04304 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Nice separation between foreground and background. Good bokeh IMO.

@f/2:
RokkorPF552DSC04302 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Despite its 'slow' aperture, one of my better standard lenses in terms of bokeh. There's some softness with close focus subjects, but detail rendering is very good (click to full size and check the fabric of the jacket).

@f/2:
RokkorPF552DSC04296 by devoscasper, on Flickr

@f/2:
RokkorPF552DSC04295 by devoscasper, on Flickr

@f/2:
RokkorPF552DSC04339 by devoscasper, on Flickr

By the way lovely lens to use: very smooth operation.

Last edited by caspert79 on Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive rendering wide open on a hi res sensor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those lenses I don't have, but I wouldn't mind owning one. I see it as a compromise between the 55mm F1.7 version (a bit sharper wide open, with slightly busier bokeh, but of different kind) and the latest MD 50mm F2 (slightly less sharp and corrected for distortion, somewhat better oof rendering). Having the other two it's not like I really need it, and it's actually a bit harder to find and a little more expensive in comparison, but handling these lenses feels fantastic and they really rarely disappoint. I suppose this lens makes perfect sense for someone who wants a Minolta in this focal range, as an all-around solution, instead of collecting a few of them. But then I guess most of us here would rather just have all of them... Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had this lens, if memeory serves me right. However, all of the half dozen or so Minolta 'normals' I own are great, the 1.4/57 has oodles of vintage character, the 1.4/50 is much more modern in character and sharper, the 1.7/50 is a wonderful lens, one of the best in it's class imho, the AF version is one of my most used lenses on my a850. But perhaps the one I like most due to it's colours, character, bokeh etc is the humble little 2/45 pancake.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rokkor PF 55mm f/2 Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised by this lens. It has character, nice bokeh and pretty good sharpness as well.
Best part is, somebody gave it away for free (including camera).

Man, can't stop looking at those. Seen the post yesterday when already switch to HDMI and big TV screen. Huh, impressive, kudos to photographer also.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rokkor 55mm PF came in 3 versions 1.7, 1.8 and f2 and more or less at the same time. That very odd , why would they miss the 1.9? I've got a copy of the 1.7 version and I really like it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had three versions 1.7, 1.9, 2.0. The first two were very similar in the picture, but version 2.0 clearly tweaked the background.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
It's one of those lenses I don't have, but I wouldn't mind owning one. I see it as a compromise between the 55mm F1.7 version (a bit sharper wide open, with slightly busier bokeh, but of different kind) and the latest MD 50mm F2 (slightly less sharp and corrected for distortion, somewhat better oof rendering). Having the other two it's not like I really need it, and it's actually a bit harder to find and a little more expensive in comparison, but handling these lenses feels fantastic and they really rarely disappoint. I suppose this lens makes perfect sense for someone who wants a Minolta in this focal range, as an all-around solution, instead of collecting a few of them. But then I guess most of us here would rather just have all of them... Smile

I have all three of them and I think you hit the nail on the head. IMO is the most 'well rounded' of the three. There are circumstances I would prefer the 55/1.7 of MD 50/2 though.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Never had this lens, if memeory serves me right. However, all of the half dozen or so Minolta 'normals' I own are great, the 1.4/57 has oodles of vintage character, the 1.4/50 is much more modern in character and sharper, the 1.7/50 is a wonderful lens, one of the best in it's class imho, the AF version is one of my most used lenses on my a850. But perhaps the one I like most due to it's colours, character, bokeh etc is the humble little 2/45 pancake.

Thanks for your suggestion, the pancake is a lens I still have to try.

Pancolart wrote:

Man, can't stop looking at those. Seen the post yesterday when already switch to HDMI and big TV screen. Huh, impressive, kudos to photographer also.

Thank you Pancolart. Watching images on the right screen can make all the difference.

kiddo wrote:
The rokkor 55mm PF came in 3 versions 1.7, 1.8 and f2 and more or less at the same time. That very odd , why would they miss the 1.9? I've got a copy of the 1.7 version and I really like it.

Very strange indeed. Or did the 1.8 pre-date the 1.7?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, F1.8 came before F1.7 indeed, which was its replacement; as far as I remember. F1.8 lens wasn't around for that long I think. Then MC 50mm F1.7 was a successor to 55mm F1.7 lens. Like people say, Minolta used to experiment a lot back in the day and didn't shy away from little changes and improvements.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am impressed. I own this lens and did not care much about it after testing. I think I have a poor copy. It is a little hazy and corners and borders lacks in quality before f8. Maybe I should chase another one. I red on a website a thorough test praising this lens (do not remember the site). Congrats !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
I am impressed. I own this lens and did not care much about it after testing. I think I have a poor copy. It is a little hazy and corners and borders lacks in quality before f8. Maybe I should chase another one. I red on a website a thorough test praising this lens (do not remember the site). Congrats !

Phillip Reeve has a review on his website, most likely the one you read.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to share some more images of one of my favorite standard lenses. Despite its f/2 max aperture, I think it has great bokeh. Click for full size.

AutoRokkorPF55mmf2444 by devoscasper, on Flickr

AutoRokkorPF55mmf2443 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Click to see great resolution @ f/8. No additional sharpness applied.

AutoRokkorPF55mmf2442 by devoscasper, on Flickr

AutoRokkorPF55mmf2440 by devoscasper, on Flickr

AutoRokkorPF55mmf2441 by devoscasper, on Flickr

AutoRokkorPF55mmf2439 by devoscasper, on Flickr

AutoRokkorPF55mmf2445 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I always enjoy seeing new samples from this lens (one of those I still don't have, but wouldn't mind owning). I don't consider it to be slow, after all it's more or less equal to Helios 44s in terms of speed and FL, and that one we consider to be a bokeh machine. I especially like the rendering in black and white presented here for some reason. Perfect classic look, without going too far or providing too little of anything.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Just wanted to share some more images of one of my favorite standard lenses. Despite its f/2 max aperture, I think it has great bokeh. Click for full size.

Nice !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PF 1.7 version was my first vintage lens to use on digital EM1 and I do have some very nice shots taken with it, mostly character ones, at the same time having the pro lenses , I've got rid of them and started the vintage line collection and shooting, mostly family portraits. Switching to FF helped me out justify to go further on on this path and I do not regret. The f2 it might be a perfected lens compared to the 1.7, I might be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta seemed to be banging out 50ish lenses at a hell of a rate, this is the small selection I have. The 45 / 2 mentioned by Ian is wonderful, as is the PF 55 / 1.8 and my favourite lens - the PF 58 / 1.4. There's four 50 1.7's on the list - I use them as body caps on cameras! They are great lenses but really common and sell for so little I don't bother.
I think it's hard to find a bad 'standard lens' in the Minolta catalogue, they seem to start at good and rise to exceptional.

MC Rokkor 45mm f2
MC Rokkor 45mm f2
MD Rokkor 50mm f1.4
Minolta MD 50mm f1.7
Minolta MD 50mm f1.7
Minolta MD 50mm f1.7
Minolta MD 50mm f1.7
MC W.Rokkor - PF 50mm f1.7
Minolta MD III 50mm f2
Auto Rokkor - PF 53mm f2
Auto Rokkor - PF 55mm f1.8
MC Rokkor - PF 58mm f1.4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should definitely try out a few more of them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Minolta seemed to be banging out 50ish lenses at a hell of a rate, this is the small selection I have. The 45 / 2 mentioned by Ian is wonderful, as is the PF 55 / 1.8 and my favourite lens - the PF 58 / 1.4. There's four 50 1.7's on the list - I use them as body caps on cameras! They are great lenses but really common and sell for so little I don't bother.
I think it's hard to find a bad 'standard lens' in the Minolta catalogue, they seem to start at good and rise to exceptional.

MC Rokkor 45mm f2
MC Rokkor 45mm f2
MD Rokkor 50mm f1.4
Minolta MD 50mm f1.7
Minolta MD 50mm f1.7
Minolta MD 50mm f1.7
Minolta MD 50mm f1.7
MC W.Rokkor - PF 50mm f1.7
Minolta MD III 50mm f2
Auto Rokkor - PF 53mm f2
Auto Rokkor - PF 55mm f1.8
MC Rokkor - PF 58mm f1.4

I wish I could say the same thing about the 58 1.4, which I own and which I like very much in photographing three-dimensional subjects that occupy the central portion of the frame, but which is really too dull in situations where the edges also matter. Here it is not a question of expecting the extreme angle to be perfect at maximum aperture, but even a normal theater scene, where the whole marginal part is bathed in black, even at 1:2.8 the actors a little far from the center do not have the necessary crispness; just to be clear, one of my favorite 50mms, the Cosina 55/1.4, although a little soft at maximum aperture, already at 2.8 has one of the highest performance I have found among vintage lenses.
Just my personal experience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the MC-II version of 58mm F1.4? Mine improves quite a bit stopped down. Of course, it needs F8 for peak performance across the frame, not unlike most vintage 50-ish mm lenses. F2 renders very differently from F1.4 (and with better sharpness/contrast/less spherical ab.), and F2.8 sees further increase in performance. But if the edges really mattered, as well as fast aperture, I'd pick MD-III version of 50mm F2. It wouldn't disappoint you even wide open, especially not at F2.8.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
Do you have the MC-II version of 58mm F1.4? Mine improves quite a bit stopped down. Of course, it needs F8 for peak performance across the frame, not unlike most vintage 50-ish mm lenses. F2 renders very differently from F1.4 (and with better sharpness/contrast/less spherical ab.), and F2.8 sees further increase in performance. But if the edges really mattered, as well as fast aperture, I'd pick MD-III version of 50mm F2. It wouldn't disappoint you even wide open, especially not at F2.8.

Mine is the oldest version, the one with external stop down lever, all metal, just like this https://corsopolaris.net/supercameras/Minolta_SR/Minolta_SR-7_ver2_02.jpg