Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

90mm for Street Photgraphy?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: 90mm for Street Photgraphy? Reply with quote

Im currently using a 35mm on a Bessa R2, has anyone tried 90mm for street work? Too tight ?
Ian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried 85mm and 90mm on my Leica, but in narrow streets I found it pretty difficult for non-stationary subjects. However, it can work nicely if you have more open area's.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 85mm f/2 can be useful for isolating subjects in a crowd or selecting details in an otherwise empty environment.

The Jupiter 9 is widely available at a reasonable price, so might be worth a try. If you don't like it, no great loss or sell it on, if you do like it, use it until you can afford something even better Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kypfer, funny, I was indeed referring to the Jupiter-9 (and the Summicron-M 90 pre-APO) and it is an excellent lens for sure. For the situations you mention, 85-90 can be great, but I found it uncomfortable as a single walkaround lens. As an addition to a 35 or 50, that is a totally different matter of course Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used 100mm, and it's not an impossible focal length for street.
Won't lend you that "up close and personal" look if you are focused on candids though.

Canon FDn 100mm F2.8

Showing off the goods by Curry Hexagon

Boredom by Curry Hexagon

As soon as you leave an open street though, it immediately gets awfully tight:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tu for sharing the images and advice, it’s appreciated.
I’m now considering my options:-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to consider 90mm as being in the middle of this general focal range, say from 80mm to 105mm, there are several good lenses I can think of that will work well.

Canon FD 85mm f/1.8
Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 L or Aspherical
Canon 100mm f/2.8
Nikon 85mm f/1.4, f/1.8 and f/2
Nikon 105mm f/2.5
Samyang 85mm f/1.4

And, of course, whenever I think 90mm, I think Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 macro -- a remarkable lens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
If I were to consider 90mm as being in the middle of this general focal range, say from 80mm to 105mm, there are several good lenses I can think of that will work well.

Canon FD 85mm f/1.8
Canon 100mm f/2.8
Nikon 105mm f/2.5
Samyang 85mm f/1.4

And, of course, whenever I think 90mm, I think Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 macro -- a remarkable lens.

In my opinion, narrow depth of field might not offer as much value here.
Weight and handling are more important.

E.g. hauling my Samyang 85mm f/1.4 for shooting street doesn't sound like a good idea unless there is a dire need of low T-stop.
I know everyone's tolerance to weight of the system is different, still this is something worth to consider.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't use my Bessa R2 lately but I wouldn't recommend to use non-coupled SLR lenses on that camera; particularly not in this focal length.

My compatible 90mm RF lenses for the Bessa are tested here: http://forum.mflenses.com/90mm-rf-lens-comparison-leitz-topcon-voigtlander-t80008.html
I think all existing 90mm RF lenses would be more than good enough.

However, I'm not a typical street shooter but I have my doubt's if 90mm is a good idea on a manual focus RF camera due to the rather shallow depth of field which requires very accurate focusing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Canon FD 85mm f/1.8
Canon 100mm f/2.8
Nikon 105mm f/2.5
Samyang 85mm f/1.4

In my opinion, narrow depth of field might not offer as much value here.
Weight and handling are more important.

E.g. hauling my Samyang 85mm f/1.4 for shooting street doesn't sound like a good idea unless there is a dire need of low T-stop.
I know everyone's tolerance to weight of the system is different, still this is something worth to consider.

I completely agree regarding size and weight. I was merely mentioning all sizes just to be complete. I personally own the Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 Aspherical, FD 85mm f/1.8, and Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5. And yes, while carrying the 85/1.8 or 90/2.5 would be much more practical for general street photography, there have been occasions when I've sucked it up and taken my 85 Aspherical out for a stroll -- and was very glad I did.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
An 85mm f/2 can be useful for isolating subjects in a crowd or selecting details in an otherwise empty environment.

The Jupiter 9 is widely available at a reasonable price, so might be worth a try. If you don't like it, no great loss or sell it on, if you do like it, use it until you can afford something even better Wink

A Jupiter-9 is very difficult to calibrate focus across the range with a Leica RF. The best I've gotten is 1.5m to infinity, that done by changing the spacing of the rear triplet to reduce focal length, then adjusting the main shim.

The rigid post-war 90/4 Elmar is a good choice, can be found under $100 in good condition. Small and light, the F4 aperture will make it usable on the Bessa R2.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
I've used 100mm, and it's not an impossible focal length for street.
Won't lend you that "up close and personal" look if you are focused on candids though.

Canon FDn 100mm F2.8

Same to me, using Nikkor 105mm for street work and let it go very well.
Cheers

PS. btw good samples.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use generally a 35/1,4 GM and 135/1,8 GM lenses for street pics.

Very happy with both.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 50mm, but I know Saul Leiter was fond of a 150mm, among others, for street work. You can see how the compression allowed him to mimic his painting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how crowed & close I get to my subjects, but I will use anything from 17-200mm on an SLR, or 24-135mm on a RF. For some reason I prefer 35mm or below on an RF when shooting street scenes..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of years ago, in the early 70's, I was a stringer for a metro newspaper. I had a Nikkormat FT, and I asked one of the regular photogs what lens would be good for everyday shooting. He advised that I get the Nikkor 105mm f/2.5. His reasoning was that it allowed you to "get up close and personal" without having to get up close and personal. Coupled with Tri-X, pushed 1-2 stops, I always got great results with it, and one remains one of my "go to" lenses for my F3, and F2 cameras for "walk around" photography.

I also used it for posed portraits for head and shoulder shots on a more informal setting.