Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bronica Zenzanon-PS 50-100mm f/4-5.6 - User Experiences?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Bronica Zenzanon-PS 50-100mm f/4-5.6 - User Experiences? Reply with quote

Bought this lens for a pretty good price, given its rarity, some time back. I saw one on eBay at that time sell for near $900. I did not pay anywhere near that. But I did find my copy had some sort of focusing issue. I finally took the time, sat down with it, and I believe I have worked through it. A fairly straightforward issue with some limit screws coming loose. I still have to re-test it. Prior to all of this, I did go out and shoot with it some (which initially led me to discover the focusing issue, which was I couldn't get it to focus at infinity at the long end of the range). But I am excited to get back out there and test this thing once more as the flexibility in focal range can be really nice.

My own initial observations are that while it's large, and relatively slow, depending on the task at hand, it can be preferable to carrying more than one lens. And I really like the range since the 50mm and the 80mm are probably my most used lenses. I use it on my SQ-Ai cameras with a WLF or the metered prism. One thing I dislike it that it seems the long end is too slow (f/5.6) for the split prism, which always seems to blackout. Curious if others find this issue as well.

My understanding is that this optic was one of the last Bronica produced, somewhat just before their demise (or being purchased by Tamron). I intend on updating the post with some results once I get out and shoot a little. For now, I would love to hear if anyone else has any experience with this lens (and definitely if you experience the blackout on the split prism at 100mm).

Here are a couple photos of the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split image focusing screens are pretty well useless for anything more than a short telephoto.

I used the WLF magnifier quite a bit on my SQ-a to focus off the ground glass.
It really cured me of focusing errors with the split image on that camera.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Split image focusing screens are pretty well useless for anything more than a short telephoto.

I used the WLF magnifier quite a bit on my SQ-a to focus off the ground glass.
It really cured me of focusing errors with the split image on that camera.

-D.S.

Thanks for that! I have a couple focusing screens and just swapped to the basic split prism today, the one without the surrounding micro-prism, to maximize that surrounding matte ground glass and figured that's probably my best bet. Based on the manual it seems Bronica did make a basic matte focusing screen without the split prism but finding replacement screens that aren't insane prices and coming from Japan has proven challenging.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for a longtime with the Schneider / Bronica 75/150, and it wasn't all that great, but all another beast of course. I still own a pretty large Bronica SQ outfit, but never use it (sadly)