Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trashed Schneider xenon 50mm f1.9 m42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Trashed Schneider xenon 50mm f1.9 m42 Reply with quote

Most people would have dump this iens in this condition into the rubbish bin! When i received the lens the body totally disfigured with chemical??!! The rear lens cracked!! Focusing and aperture stucked. Spent hours to fix it...body still as horrible as before and the glass still cracked, however got the focusing and aperture to work.

And finally 2 shots taken using the lens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well worth the effort to rescue this lens.
Well done
OH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a lot of damage to make a good lens useless.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well worth keeping as an ART lens

plus you may find other lens parts to repair with over time

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not as trashed as the OP's lens but still requiring some TLC. I got this example on the auction site for not much money since it was sold "as-is". Listed flaws were sluggish aperture blades , oil on blades, also dinged filter threads, and coating damage. Turns out this last was nearly imperceptible, and the glass is near impeccable for 60ish year old lens. It came apart easily. Taking both front a rear elements out exposed the blades from both sides. I swabbed with lens paper to get the worst of the oil off first then rinsed with 70% isopropyl, just a small amount 3ml? Half a tsp or so.. Swabbed again. I worked the aperture mecnasim back and forth numerous times, swabbed rinsed, repeat. It takes longer to write than to do! For final go I swabbed and swabbed working aperture until it appeared dry. Set it aside for several hours to be sure all the alcohol was evaporated. I took that time to improve the appearance of the filter threads. It had already been pulled out to the point it took a filter. But much too far! Fortunately I had an old chromed brass filter housing that fit. Screwed that in and tapped gently with a wooden peg to return to near round.
Closed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 1967/1968 xenon was made for Edixa, but with the current schneider formula.

I have the QBM mount one. Great lens.

All the xenon 50/1,9-2 versions are the same lens?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
This 1967/1968 xenon was made for Edixa, but with the current formula.

I have the QBM mount one. Great lens.

All the xenon 50/1,9-2 versions are the same lens?

Most or all post-war xenon 50/1,9-2 are 6e/4g double-gauss. Although they are using the same 6e/4g design, the calculation of the QBM xenon 1.9 seems to be different than the early 1.9 lens sold for Exakta. The pre-war 5cm/2 use a 6e/5g double-gauss design with air space between the second and third element.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Calvin83.

The QBM has serie number 12.xxx.xxx (near 1972) the calculation should be changed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens that is generally available for small money. You can frequently get the Retina DKL version for 35-50 dollars in excellent condition. Watch the sale on ebay of the Retina Instamatic Reflex.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried 3 different Xenon 50/1.9: a early zebra one with Exakta mount, early Retina version with 0.9m MFD and late Retina version with 0.6m MFD. I will prefer the last one. My friend told me the F1.8 QBM version is even better.