Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena 1,4/25mm lens is it real ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena 1,4/25mm lens is it real ? Reply with quote

Watch out this link on Ebay! I think this is fake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290090069883&fromMakeTrack=true#ebayphotohosting

What you think ? Please let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena 1,4/25mm lens is it real ? Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Watch out this link on Ebay! I think this is fake.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290090069883&fromMakeTrack=true#ebayphotohosting
What you think ? Please let me know.

It's not fake. It's not photo lens either though.
It's a movie camera lens.
Most european movie cameras in the Thirties (before the WW2) used Biotar lenses. The German Expressionist movie makers (Murnau, Lang, etc. - remember "Nosferatu"?) have enjoied the superior quality of Biotar lenses very much.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add: I would not venture into buying it.
First, you don't know the mount.
And second, even if the mount was compatible, the register distance most certainly will not. The main movie format at the time was 16mm. That is, less than half the standard film size.

The lens is going to be most certainly unuseable on a film or digital 35mm camera.
And besides, the image quality of a movie camera lens (where speed was much more important than resolvance or sharpness) is going to be nowhere near even the most mediocre still film lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the register distance for movie lens is between 8-11mm.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Usually the register distance for movie lens is between 8-11mm.

I am not an expert, but I suspect that the film format is an important factor.

Due to size, the 16mm movie film surely has to be much closer to the lens back glass than the 35mm film (either movie or still), in order to capture the whole field of view and not just a portion of it.

Therefore, I suspect that also the register distance of the lens in a 16mm camera must be sensibly shorter than the distance that is standard for 35mm film.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you folks!