Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New bubble bokeh lens discovered
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: New bubble bokeh lens discovered Reply with quote

It is a cheap lens. Discovered by chance. AF Nikkor 28-100mm f/3.5-5.6G.

It's capable of creating really good soap bubbles. A potential negative is its slowness, or strength of extra depth of field.

Another negative is visible onion rings.

What do you think?

Here it goes:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neato! Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: New bubble bokeh lens discovered Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
. . .
It's capable of creating really good soap bubbles. A potential negative is its slowness, or strength of extra depth of field.

Another negative is visible onion rings.

What do you think?

I think I like your results.

When I want "interesting" wide open rendering, sometimes it's nice to have the extra depth of field a slower lens gives.

Last edited by 55 on Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:58 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The soap bubbles are undeniably there, thanks for your post!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty nice results.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super result

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New bubble bokeh lens discovered Reply with quote

Another thing, these photos are taken at 100mm. There are bubbles all the way from 28mm, but I think it's only at 100mm that the magnification is enough. Minimal focus distance is 0.56mm, as printed on the lens. And it stays the same through the zoom range. I'd like to try a macro ring or helicoid to get closer.

I don't have the correct adapter for this lens so had to jam the aperture lever with a small wooden stick to keep the aperture open. But I recommend getting an adapter that can control aperture.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who needs a Trioplan!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New bubble bokeh lens discovered Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
It is a cheap lens. Discovered by chance. AF Nikkor 28-100mm f/3.5-5.6G.

Nice find! I never would have expected results like that from a cheap modern zoom.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images! I'll try to pick up a copy of this lens and see what eye-candy I can make too :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New bubble bokeh lens discovered Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Another thing, these photos are taken at 100mm. There are bubbles all the way from 28mm, but I think it's only at 100mm that the magnification is enough. Minimal focus distance is 0.56mm, as printed on the lens. And it stays the same through the zoom range. I'd like to try a macro ring or helicoid to get closer.

I don't have the correct adapter for this lens so had to jam the aperture lever with a small wooden stick to keep the aperture open. But I recommend getting an adapter that can control aperture.

At 100mm, the lens is at f/5.6, so the bubbles are smaller as a result? Did you have to crop considerably to get those images or were you very close?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CFD is 56cm. At 100mm that will give large enough highlights. The lens doesn't have and aperture ring so you would get it just for wide open bubbles if not used on a Nikon body or with a capable adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New bubble bokeh lens discovered Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
blotafton wrote:

g[/img][/url]

At 100mm, the lens is at f/5.6, so the bubbles are smaller as a result? Did you have to crop considerably to get those images or were you very close?

No they are uncropped fullframe shots at minimum focus distance. When zooming out and getting brighter f stops the rings still gets smaller because you can't focus any closer.

So this is as good as it gets when it comes to bubble size. With a Diaplan or Trioplan it's much easier to get bigger bubbles with f/2.8.

Here is a test from 100mm to 28mm at minimum focus distance:

#1 100mm

#2 85mm

#3 70mm

#4 50mm

#5 35mm

#6 28mm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The source of the specular highlights was a tree with reflections off the leaves? The quality of the light is important to creating the soap bubbles. The lens aperture is controlled by the intended camera, correct? Do all the lens versions have the ability to jam the aperture open?

When adding an extension and getting much closer, the tendency is for the bokeh to get more blurry or creamy, which changes the highlights. The f/5.6 may actually work in your favor when extending.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New bubble bokeh lens discovered Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
The source of the specular highlights was a tree with reflections off the leaves? The quality of the light is important to creating the soap bubbles. The lens aperture is controlled by the intended camera, correct? Do all the lens versions have the ability to jam the aperture open?

When adding an extension and getting much closer, the tendency is for the bokeh to get more blurry or creamy, which changes the highlights. The f/5.6 may actually work in your favor when extending.

It's water drops after rain on a spruce tree. I don't know if there are versions of this lens or much about Nikon in general. But I think there are adapters that lets you control the aperture with an extra ring. like this :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255103855692?hash=item3b655fec4c:g:F2YAAOSwiEdhGQHa

The lens has a spring loaded aperture lever that closes the blades when it's not mounted.

Yes extensions may change the bokeh, that still needs to be tested.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New bubble bokeh lens discovered Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
[

I can't even find those.

Try these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124858033410?hash=item1d121e6502:g:0vQAAOSwITphAEqp

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284420024047?hash=item4238c126ef:g:t2cAAOSwqoxhInui

Mine was about $12 with a F75 camera on a Swedish site. Maybe some luck involved.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: New bubble bokeh lens discovered Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a few copies for $50 or so at places like KEH and MPB, and there was one attached to a Nikon body that just sold on Shop Goodwill for $42 (lenses are often mislabled or under-specified there, and their search function is quite literal, so searching simply for "28-100" might turn up the most results).