Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

35MM
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: 35MM Reply with quote

Hi everybody
I want to find a 35MM angle lens for my Sony A72 camera, can anyone recommend me some lenses? Price fluctuates under $100
Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD 35mm f/2.8. Super sharp!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. FD 35 2,8 on your list.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Minolta MD 35mm f/2.8. Super sharp!

This is definitely the best value for money. The lens is sharp (compared to many modern lenses too) starting from wide open and it performs well in most departments. Canon FD 35mm 2.8 is a fine alternative, it's got less field curvature than Minolta, but stronger barrel distortion. I've read that Minolta's got a bit better light transmission but I haven't checked that. Canon is a bit sharper for close ups, while Minolta's better for architecture shots (since you lose sharpness when correcting the distortion). I don't think you'll find better options for the budget, Flektogon is a bit more expensive, but these are in fact optically better (except for macro purposes, or if you prefer different rendering).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FL 35mm f2.5 - a superb lens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you will get many good recommendations. The 35mm focal length is one of just a few where I found a lens and looked no further. Topcor Re 2.8/35. Sharp and close focusing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SMC Takumar 35mm f/3.5 offers great 3D pop illusion with excellent micro contrast. It has an impressive resolution, acutance and contrast already at 3.5. Its SMC version renders punchy colors typical for the better SMC and T* lenses. Its coatings are also very effective when you have the sun or a light source in your frame. It is small and light yet very well built. You can get a mint copy for about $60-70 so it is a steal - outstanding value for money.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty-Lens wrote:
The SMC Takumar 35mm f/3.5 offers great 3D pop illusion with excellent micro contrast. It has an impressive resolution, acutance and contrast already at 3.5. Its SMC version renders punchy colors typical for the better SMC and T* lenses. Its coatings are also very effective when you have the sun or a light source in your frame. It is small and light yet very well built. You can get a mint copy for about $60-70 so it is a steal - outstanding value for money.

If you don't need the extra speed, I agree here, a wonderful lens. I tried the famous Flektogon 35 2.4, three different copies, and compared to the Takumar I could not see any reason to keep them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty-Lens wrote:

If you consider F3,5 I have red that the FD 3,5 was fantastic at least for landscapes and a little less corrected for close distances. Very light and cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon Series E 35mm 2.5

Meyer-Optik 35mm Primagon 4.5 if you want super character and don't mind it not being fast at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schacht S Travegon 35mm 2.8 R
Topcon RE 35mm 2.8
Olympus OM 35mm 2.8
and on and on. Lots of excellent lenses in this FL for not too much money.

My favorite in the FL is a bit above your price range but I snagged an auction for under 500 because "coating damage'
Zeiss Contax 35mm 1.4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42
Super Multi Coated Takumar 35mm f3.5 Very good lens, likes the proper hood, but great landscape lens.
A. Schacht Ulm. Edixa Travegon 35mm f3.5 Mine has problems, but I've used it wide open and it's a good lens. Maybe very good?
Auto Optomax 35mm f2.8 OK, dirt cheap and nothing special.
Auto Super Paragon FIND OR SOLD ? 35mm f2.8 A stinker, if I've sold it I'm a happy man.
Soligor 35mm f3.5 Many versions of this, there's good, bad and ugly. I have a Tokina version in FD mount that is very good.
Fujinon W 35mm f3.5 Nearly very good, cheap and plentiful. A bit better than average?
Carl Zeiss Jena. Flektogon 35mm 2.4. Excellent lens, by far the best 35 I've got.
Soligor 35mm f2.8 A disapointment, I think this 2.8 is a SUN lens.
MIR 1B ( SOLD ) 37mm f2.8 Nearly as good as the Flektogon, I sold my MIR when I got the Flek'

M39
Jupiter 12 35mm f2.8 What a delight this lens is, not the cheapest to buy or the easiest to use. It's a great lens.

Minolta
Alpex Auto Wide ( SOLD ) 35mm f2.8 Beautiful lens, well made, but mine was awful. I think it was decentered. It's supposed to be good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax-m 35mm 1:2.8 is also a fine little 35mm lens. Very contrasty and popping colours.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some excellent suggestions already.
A few others to consider which I have used and have found the be very good:

Yashinon-DX 35mm f2.8
Sankyo Kohki W-Komura 35mm f2.5
Canon FL 35mm f2.5 and Canon FL 35mm f3.5
Meyer-Optik 35mm Primagon 4.5
Petri CC Auto 35mm f2.8
Auto Miranda E 35mm f2.8

Most of those should be within your budget
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what the OP wants to use the lens for, landscapes(corner to corner)? Portraiture(bokeh)? Everything?
Canon FL 35/2.5
Topcon RE 35/2.8
Rokkor MC/MD 35/2.8
Canon S 35/2 LTM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: 35MM Reply with quote

Nguyen The Duong wrote:
Hi everybody
I want to find a 35MM angle lens for my Sony A72 camera, can anyone recommend me some lenses? Price fluctuates under $100
Thank you very much.

After everyone's advice, I chose 4 lenses, thank you very much.
Minotla 35mm F2.8
Canon FDn 35mm F2.8
SMC Takumar 35mm F3.5
Olympus OM 35mm F2.8"

Which of these 4 lenses is really sharp?
I thank you once more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flektogon may be a possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamiya Sekor CS 35mm 2.8

EDit: For landscapes etc. stopped down to 5.6 the edges are very good.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62440269
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59981603
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62663426

Last edited by Ernst Dinkla on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 35MM Reply with quote

Nguyen The Duong wrote:
Nguyen The Duong wrote:
Hi everybody
Thank you very much.

After everyone's advice, I chose 4 lenses, thank you very much.
Minotla 35mm F2.8
Canon FDn 35mm F2.8
SMC Takumar 35mm F3.5
Olympus OM 35mm F2.8"

Which of these 4 lenses is really sharp?
I thank you once more.

If sharpness is the main criteria I'd go for the Minolta or Canon (you can find reviews and samples online). They are sharper than for example Sony "Zeiss" 35mm 2.8 from wide open. Takumar is a nice lens, but not as sharp when pixel peeping, and definitely not as sharp around the edges on FF (visible without any peeping). Still a nice lens. I've no experience with Zuiko 35mm. I like Flektogon 35mm F2.4, but again in terms of sharpness, it's a bit behind Minolta and Canon, it's got more problems with oily aperture and sometimes stiff focusing (most Jena lenses require some CLA or if not will do soon), but it's got nice rendering and it is very sharp stopped down (even edges and corners around F8-F11, it's sharp before that also, but it suffers from field curvature like most lenses mentioned here do).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Edgar. The Canon FL 35mm f/2.5 really is a remarkable lens, and can often be picked up for a very reasonable price.

Here are a few photos I took back in 1984. Canon FTb, Canon FL 35mm f/2.5, Kodachrome 64. The edge sharpness is excellent. The first photo I took about an hour after I bought the FTb and FL 35mm. The next photos I took maybe a week later.

The slides were duped using a Nikon 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor and a Sony NEX 7 @ ISO 100, with a dupe rig I cobbled together.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I agree with Edgar. The Canon FL 35mm f/2.5 really is a remarkable lens, and can often be picked up for a very reasonable price.

Here are a few photos I took back in 1984. Canon FTb, Canon FL 35mm f/2.5, Kodachrome 64. The edge sharpness is excellent. The first photo I took about an hour after I bought the FTb and FL 35mm. The next photos I took maybe a week later.

The slides were duped using a Nikon 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor and a Sony NEX 7 @ ISO 100, with a dupe rig I cobbled together.

I very much like the Canon FL 35 mm f/2.5 lens but edge sharpness is definetely not one of the caracteristics which stand out on full frame cameras. With my Sony A7R (36 megapixel), i have to stop down to f/8 or, better, f/11 in order to get clean, sharp corners without vignetting, on wider apertures, spherical aberration and coma makes border and corner regions pretty fuzzy. One shouldn't forget that the FL is a lens dating back to the 1950's (the Canomatic R Lens already had the same optical formula...) and only having single coating which reduces its usefulness for landscapes with backlighting. The nFD 35 mm f/2.8, while clad in plastic parts, is a much more comptetent lens in terms of optical performance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

I very much like the Canon FL 35 mm f/2.5 lens but edge sharpness is definetely not one of the caracteristics which stand out on full frame cameras. With my Sony A7R (36 megapixel), i have to stop down to f/8 or, better, f/11 in order to get clean, sharp corners without vignetting, on wider apertures, spherical aberration and coma makes border and corner regions pretty fuzzy. One shouldn't forget that the FL is a lens dating back to the 1950's (the Canomatic R Lens already had the same optical formula...) and only having single coating which reduces its usefulness for landscapes with backlighting. The nFD 35 mm f/2.8, while clad in plastic parts, is a much more comptetent lens in terms of optical performance.

I concur I have tested the famous 35 2,0 concave and took with me the nFD 35 2,8 for comparison. The 2,8 was the most homogeneous of the two and I kept the (significant) cash in my pocket.

I do not have the 2,5 but it seems difficult to me to have a better 35 than the FD and MD 2,8. Sure f2,0 is lacking but I do not care.

We always tend to look for a better lens than the one we own and sometimes have to admit that the quest is futile (not always, of course).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dare to offer you Yongnuo YN 35 mm F2 DF DSM It doesn't fit into the budget a bit, but it's very practical)
China is gradually replacing the old film lenses, which offer at least no worse optical characteristics with autofocus.

p/s I recently sold my excellent nfd 35/135mm and am looking closely at the recently announced TTartisan 32/2.8 (perhaps it will replace the nfd 35 for me)

p/s In the secondary market, you can also buy relatively cheap Samyang 35/2.8 or tamron 35/2.8 (f053) (--200$)