Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about a Kern Paillard 16mm/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Question about a Kern Paillard 16mm/1.8 Reply with quote

I am starting to explore C mount lenses, and have been doing a little research on Kern Paillard lenses. Research has mainly been digging through this site undoubtedly known to you:

http://www.bolexcollector.com/lenses/50kern.html

and the Kern topic on this forum:
http://forum.mflenses.com/the-kern-c-mount-and-d-mount-cin-taking-lenses-t73926.html

Looking at eBay I see two Kern Paillard Switar 16mm/1.8 lenses being sold by the same seller. The difference as far as I can tell is that one is for H16RX, the other one appears not to be. So in terms of the information on the bolexcollector website, one is presumably a "SWESE" and the other a "DAESE"?

From what I understand the difference between the RX and non-RX versions is that the optics in the RX version were tuned to the presence of 9mm of glass in the reflex mechanism. For M4/3 use with 4mm of glass in front of the sensor it might not make much difference?

Question is this however: while both lenses appear to be in good condition, the standard version is a lot cheaper (159 euros) than the RX version (279 euros). As a matter of fact it is less than most Kern Paillard lenses I see on eBay.

Reasons I can think of are hidden flaw, or a very common lens, or perhaps not usable on an adapter for some reason.... ?

I would appreciate the insight of someone with more experience than I have with these lenses.

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Christine

You have it very correctly about these wide-angle lenses. Price differences also have to do with the will and the judgement of a seller. As long as no warranty is given you can only find out more about an object by asking directly. In my experience most people offering something give additional information, if asked politely. So do use ebay’s message system.

The Switar 16 mm is a six-elements lens. A price up to € 180 is justified in my opinion. Cosmetics are not so important, the lacquer and paint can be renewed. Make sure the glass is not scratched and the diaphragm working.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I just also noticed that the cheaper lens is marked in feet and inches only. So perhaps that is the reason it is offered for less money.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why “only” feet and inches? The anglosaxon world might be not amused about a disrespect of the imperial measures system. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

screwunscrew wrote:
Why “only” feet and inches? The anglosaxon world might be not amused about a disrespect of the imperial measures system. Confused

Here I meant "only" as in "not also", it wasn't intended as a comment on the imperial system. Most lenses are either metric + imperial, some of the older German ones I have seen are metric without imperial. I myself don't see imperial without metric markings very much.

Regards, Christine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: education Reply with quote

When the first idea of a Kern Paillard lens was conceived by a member of the Kern family in the 1960s, many people thought it wouldn’t fly. You can check this https://studybreaks.com/thoughts/how-to-choose-reliable-essay-writing-services/ and learn more steps about the study. However, after several years of work it was discovered that this 18mm lens was a perfect fit for many situations. The lens offers excellent results in every kind of photography and is also relatively inexpensive to purchase.