Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1, 135mm f2.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1, 135mm f2.3 Reply with quote

Recently acquired a beautiful copy of this huge glass chunk in M42 mount. Great fun to use!

It can focus very close for a telephoto lens and is therefore great for portraits or even macro(ish) stuff.

Whats pretty weird is that I like this lens a lot already, even though it can neither compete with my 135mm of choice (Contax Zeiss, 2.8, AE) or with any of the macros (Yashica 100/3.5, Tamron 90/2.5). But it just strikes a very nice balance between great build quality, characterful images and decent sharpness.

Some pictures taken on the weekend in the insect paradise that our garden is this time of year:
All between f2.3 and f4, sometimes i missed focus by a bit. XFINE JPG's straight out of camera, Sony A7ii, "Std" image profile.

They could obviously benefit from some contrast adjustments.

Edit: I don't know how to get the pictures to be in the right orientation, anyone know how?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very similar to the 200mm F3.0 of the same series

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, I've been after one of those Vivitars for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Series 1 200/3.0, and it has serious spherochromaticism. Interesting lens, but since sperceded with Pentax-A 200/2.8, which I love, and then the Pentax-FA 200/2.8 (yeah, wrong forum!).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did own one some years ago.
My example was prone to flare very easily, and did not display anything like the levels of sharpness that I have seen from other users.
It was heavy of course, and this would have been a small price to pay for good images, but try as I might, I could not get it to consistently produce images that satisfied.
Occasionally it would perform nicely, and its bokeh is wonderful, but I lost patience with it and sold it.
Here is one image that I took that I was pleased with
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1, 135mm f2.3 Reply with quote

marius.zaech wrote:
Recently acquired a beautiful copy of this huge glass chunk in M42 mount. Great fun to use!

Like 1 small Enjoy!
I love the close focusing and awe inspiring build quality of my copy.

Edit: Oh... nevermind. (Some dead weight deleted.)

Last edited by 55 on Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw one at the flea market last weekend and passed on it.. it was too heavy!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1, 135mm f2.3 Reply with quote

marius.zaech wrote:
Edit: I don't know how to get the pictures to be in the right orientation, anyone know how?

Must be bug in forum software as clicking on the image to display full size result is in correct orientation. I do notice you tilt camera clockwise for portrait orientation -- most folks tilt camera widdershins (counterclockwise). The forum software works okay for those...