Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cosmicar f1.4 50mm on Olympus OM-D E-M5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: Cosmicar f1.4 50mm on Olympus OM-D E-M5 Reply with quote

I really like this lens, it is fiercely sharp and contrasty but also has wonderful bokeh and character. Edges of the frame are a bit smeary at large apertures, but that is part of the character that you can learn to utilise to good effect. It's a Pentax of course, Cosmicar being a Pentax brand name.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results 👍

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather was much sunnier today so I took the Cosmicar out for a stroll again.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Amazing stone and wood work #3; greens #11.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were both shot at f5.6 with the lens set to infinity - it has a quite short focus throw so anything more than about 10 yards away is infinity.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fine lens, #11 is a terrific landscape shot, the colours and sharpness are excellent. The simple shot of the daisies, #6 , also shows how good it is.

I've not come across any Cosmicar lenses, but I'll keep my eye open for them now. Is this a TV lens ?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, c mount TV lens, Cosmicar lenses are very common to see on ebay, a few years ago they changed the branding to Pentax. I have loads of them, cos they are usually dirt cheap used, for instance I have 4 or 5 of the tiny f1.4 25mm which is superb on smaller sensors but has poor corners on M4/3. Computar lenses are just as good - made by Kowa. Fujinons by Fuji are also wonderful. There are a lot of C mount lenses out there, often they are rebranded to the names of CCTV companies like Ernitec and Vista. I'm not sure how many I have, maybe 50, as they are so damn cheap.

Here's a few more landscape I shot with it just outside Millom at Thwaites, where the road forks to go round the Whicham Valley.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressively good! Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the C Mount Cosmicars are impressive, if you like using smaller sensor cameras, they are well worth collecting as they are so cheap and very easy to find.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I got several including one with quartz lenses for UV even!