Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander septon 50/2 DKL
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Voigtlander septon 50/2 DKL Reply with quote

It's a nice lens who has similar formula than the Planar 2,8/80 for the Hasselblad.

Never was a cheap lens.

But now they are almost rare.

Which is the adequate price to pay for it guys?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful of separation on these.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pristine copy, I suppose 150-200€£$ depends where you at , I might be wrong , and this might be a good price of course .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Voigtlander septon 50/2 DKL Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Which is the adequate price to pay for it guys?

Got mine in 2019 for CHF / EZR / USD 30.-- including a woking Bessamatic CS ... those lenses are interesting and well machined, but not extraordinary performers ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extraordinary machined well said no like mamiya/revuenon EF
Not comparable on image quality ,but of course, is about 60's vs 80's?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine in good condition for less than $100 many year ago. The glass is like new on my copy with no separation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Extraordinary machined well said no like mamiya/revuenon EF
Not comparable on image quality ,but of course, is about 60's vs 80's?

Yes sure! Many of these German lenses from the 50s and 60s are small, very well made and really nice to look at.
But do they perform better that the typical Japanese lens from th 70s? Not at all!
Can I have fun with them? You bet Wink

S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of you, guys.

But when I saw that.......

https://www.ebay.es/itm/372257202830

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142318215986

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtlander-Bessamatic-Camera-Septon-50-2-Lens-with-original-caps-/302814083826

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking prices can be ridiculous. Those are VERY high. There is enough activity for that lens that they are very unlikely to sell at those prices. I would agree with kiddo. It is a lens I have on my ebay watch and most of the sales are right in that range. As to a fast 50mm DKL lens the SK Xenon is every bit as good and sells for about half the price.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that most of the people that have got it for 100 or less, wouldn't sell it in the near future , besides these lenses are more rare than others japanese. So, talking about value, it's just so worthless nowadays , when inflation is rising and lost of people getting bored at home (working from home). Of course there are sellers that are trying to push prices higher on ebay . To be honest, I've never tried chinese plastic actual lenses ,even though they might be better optic inside of them and better image (maybe), I would still prefer these oldies any day.

It's just like when using a chainsaw,very once in a while, mostly prefer the 70's oleomac 270 lol , not the newer models .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husqvarna! (they also make sewing machines)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
........ . To be honest, I've never tried chinese plastic actual lenses ,even though they might be better optic inside of them and better image (maybe), I would still prefer these oldies any day.

It's just like when using a chainsaw,very once in a while, mostly prefer the 70's oleomac 270 lol , not the newer models .

Hi Kiddo. Thanks for your answers.

In the lenses quid, the newer lenses should move the industries when it seemed died or near.

I have some Sony G and GM series lenses

And they are very good ones.

The PLANAR ZA 50/1,4 is better optically than all my 50s MF ones? Not than my Summilux V.2, nor my Ultron 1,8, nor my Schneider 1,8 QBM, nor my Planar Rollei 1,8, etc.

But the AF is very good. The CF (continuous focus) is excellent and let me focus the subject and frame again without loss the focus on the subject in his new place in the photo.

The 35/1,4 GM is a different story. It's sharper than any of the 35 mm MF lenses that I have and had.
At f/5,6 the corner are sharp, sharp and sharp.

Plastic lens? Yes. But the images are........splendid.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinese lenses I have purchased use metals and glasses. Ordinary optical glasses is cheap enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="papasito"]
kiddo wrote:
The 35/1,4 GM is a different story. It's sharper than any of the 35 mm MF lenses that I have and had.

Well you got a good one then, because mine is a dog biscuit, at 1.4 the corners are soft and don't improve much. At F5.6-8, most vintage 35MMs (35 Elmar, Nikons) easily hang with its corners. It is as you say autofocus, and at 1.4 nothing vintage can touch it for center sharpness. Its one of the few lenses that I have that I really don't like much.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gatorengineer64"]
papasito wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Well you got a good one then, because mine is a dog biscuit, at 1.4 the corners are soft and don't improve much. At F5.6-8, most vintage 35MMs (35 Elmar, Nikons) easily hang with its corners. It is as you say autofocus, and at 1.4 nothing vintage can touch it for center sharpness. Its one of the few lenses that I have that I really don't like much.

Mine 35 GM, at the center is more sharp than my Zeiss 35/1,4 Sony and c/y mount.
My Distagon 35 is by far, more sharp than any Nikkor I tried or had.
At f/3,5 the Elmar have unsharp corners, at least the copies I have tried.
Lenses are lenses and it's very interesting to share experiences.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two versions of the Septon.

The optical formular is the same but the most offered Septon lenses has a helix with a focus range between 0.9m-oo

The much more rare one has a longer helicoid with a range of 0.6m-oo

The last one cost more, I saw it sold for 300 Euros and more but with some luck you can get it for under 200 Euros

The first one is available for around 150 Euros.

Some sellers believe that higher prices are possible but this is not realistic.

I have a few of this lenses and what I really prefer is the colour transmission and at full open it has a very special kind of softness, only a little bid.

Can be use for analog and digital, great for a full format camera.

My sample were made with a Kentmere 400, developed in Wehner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arri wrote:
There are two versions of the Septon.

The optical formular is the same but the most offered Septon lenses has a helix with a focus range between 0.9m-oo

The much more rare one has a longer helicoid with a range of 0.6m-oo

The last one cost more, I saw it sold for 300 Euros and more but with some luck you can get it for under 200 Euros

The first one is available for around 150 Euros.

Some sellers believe that higher prices are possible but this is not realistic.

I have a few of this lenses and what I really prefer is the colour transmission and at full open it has a very special kind of softness, only a little bid.

Can be use for analog and digital, great for a full format camera.

My sample were made with a Kentmere 400, developed in Wehner

Thank you. Very nice image, with much personality.

Yes, really there are 4 or 5 versions.

Focus range from 90 cm with chrome nose and with black nose.

Focus range from 60 cm with chrome or black nose. An the last with a little part of The mount painted with yellow for the lenses specially made for Ultramatic (and Bessamatic) CS.