Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 135mm f2.8 Mystery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Soligor 135mm f2.8 Mystery Reply with quote

I hope this is in the right place; I've joined seeking advise.
I recently purchased a Soligor 135mm f2.8, listed as M42 mount.
After receiving the lens it was apparent it was not M42.
I sorted things with the seller but I am left with the lens.
After plenty of searching I see that there are different 'T' mounts for Soligor but I haven't a clue where I start.
I've included pictures of the lens and was hoping somebody could tell me what I am looking at and if an adaptor is available to use this lens with an M42 mount.
The lens is in good condition, (subject to fungus removal), but unusable at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 135mm f2.8 Mystery Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Mikerlay. You can't post photos or links in your first post, an anti-spam measure. You'll be okay from now on.

Mikerlay wrote:
After plenty of searching I see that there are different 'T' mounts for Soligor but I haven't a clue where I start.
I've included pictures of the lens and was hoping somebody could tell me what I am looking at and if an adaptor is available to use this lens with an M42 mount.
The lens is in good condition, (subject to fungus removal), but unusable at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 135mm f2.8 Mystery Reply with quote

Mikerlay wrote:

Welcome to the Forum! It is the T4 mount shared with Vivitar.

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/vivitar_cameras/vivitar_t-4/vivitar_t-4.htm

Either getting a T4 to M42 adapter or by a lens with T4 to M42 adapter and use the adapter. However, it is hard to find such an adapter anymore. If you are a mirrorless camera user, you are not limited by only M42 mount. Vivitar has more T4 mount lenses; so you can start from there.
Note Vivitar has a later Tx line which has a very similar adapter. Be careful with those, I heard Tx adapter can't be mounted on T4 lenses, but T4 can be used on Tx (if my memory is correct).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soligor#The_T4_interchangeable_mount

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, T4 interchangeable mount. Manufactured by Tokina. Yours appears to be a very early variant with no latching mechanism on the mounting ring. I am curious to know the serial #.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
Yes, T4 interchangeable mount. Manufactured by Tokina. Yours appears to be a very early variant with no latching mechanism on the mounting ring. I am curious to know the serial #.

do the later versions with the latching mechanism fit?

If they do, I might have an adapter, either M42 or Nikon spare. Or maybe a lens with an adapter. I'll search tomorrow....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've an example. Came in a lot of gear. Appears unused in box. Ten bucks and shipping and it's yours. PM me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
do the later versions with the latching mechanism fit?

Should fit. The latch was added to the locking ring. I have an early one with a thumb screw instead of the ratchet latch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a dig into the 'stock' Rolling Eyes and I have found a nearly mint Vivitar. Close Focus Auto Zoom. 90-230 / 4.5 with a Nikon TX Mount in my for sale boxes, it has caps and case, this is a Tokina lens and I think it was Vivitars best seller ever. It's a nice lens, but I use the 70-210 classics. On my stall at the Camera Fair I would ask £25, and take a sensible offer. So there's a mount, it's a Nikon not M42, and a decent zoom. ( I thought I had two M42's )