Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor p.c. 55 micro f 3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Nikkor p.c. 55 micro f 3.5 Reply with quote

I thought I had posted a series of images taken with this lens, but can't seem to find them.

Here are a few from a personal favorite...

F8 at full lens extension.
The wind was giving me motion blur, so ISO was increased to 400.

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/202110/big_11612_VJC_0584_1_1.jpg]
[/url]

Most of these are f8, which the lens seems to like at full macro extension.

I'm pretty sure this one was wide open. Taken right at sunrise.

f4. Taken under heavy overcast.
The toad-stool was dripping black liquid onto the surrounding grass blades.

Color reproduction is very close off of the dark green coatings. I rarely have to manipulate these. All are untouched except for re-size. The spider web took a little sharpening in post...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Micro-Nikkor 55MM f/3.5 PC Reply with quote

I really like mine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens, but the Ai version. I make all my Ebay listings with it. Super sharp and very good value for money 👍

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://richardhaw.com/2018/05/02/repair-micro-nikkor-p-c-55mm-f-3-5/

Does anyone also have the preset version on the far left? I'm wondering how it compares to the 55/3.5 & 2.8 that are side by side...
I'm mostly curious if it is worth the extra $, I haven't figured out why it's being sold for so much more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 2 different chances at the f 2.8 A/I version.
Both suffered from fungus on the rear element- to a serious degree.
Even so, a look at both through the F-3's viewfinder confirmed improved sharpness over my older version.
I did not buy either of them- pricing was a bit high for lenses requiring work.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently own three of these gems -- two P's and one PC. It wasn't intentional to acquire so many. One I've owned for over 30 years and the other two were picked up mostly because they were so cheap I couldn't say no.

eBay prices for these lenses have been incredibly low for the past several years. I just checked and I still saw a couple priced cheaply, but most are about double the price they used to be. Still, they represent some of the best deals around for premium macro lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, how many here own and use the dedicated P/K 2 or P/K 3 tubes with these lenses?

At one time, they were packaged together with the lens at a slight premium.

I have no name extension tubes here with absolutely no aperture link to the camera.
I'm wondering how well the originals work on Nikon DSLR's...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my macros didn't come with tubes, only a few did, my FD SSC came with an FL life size adapter, which flips the lens upside down, the FL lens has 2 DOF scales, one for direct mount and the flipped one marked for use on the lifesize adapter, it's actually ingenious use of unused space. Only the FD doesn't have any markings on the underside... Which makes it lass than ideal, I'd love to find an FL Macro with an FD LSA, but that would be unlikely, I will have to find them separately most likely, assuming I even decide to actually get them.
I don't use 1:1 all that often, I mostly like using the macros as a normal lens that has a really short MFD.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a reversing ring here.
With the 55 micro, it will get in more than reasonably close.
The only fly in this ointment is the exposed and protruding rear element.
It works well on normal 50's, which reminds me to try it with the 50 1.4 s.c. that I've been itching to convert...
Hopefully we'll get a break in the weather soon, and I'll be able to try it before snow flies.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lenses. I have a new 55mm f3.5 -- it's so light! I have two 55mm f2.8 ais versions, one very beat up externally for when weather and bashing are an issue.

Also have a couple f2.8s that have problems -- one with a sluggish aperture, one with nearly locked focus. I may get around to combining the better parts of those some day.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned all the versions over the years, but the one that gave the best images was the P.C. I still have that one, with its original M extension.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On full frame with the D-810.
A very hurried hand held shot at f8 with the on-board flash.
I used a white paper towel as a reflector behind the coin.

-D.S.