Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which lens signature is that? Our recognition capacity
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Which lens signature is that? Our recognition capacity Reply with quote

Some lenses have quite distinctive visual parameters, like the splendid sharpness of Re.Topcors or Trioplan OOF bubbles. But you usually reach them knowing the precise lens you use. Some less cherished lenses have similar character to their celerbrities counterparts. I guess one may easily take a shot by Rollei Planar for the one made with Re.Topcor. Trioplan bubbles are also widely known as a more generic long triplets feature.

Using various lenses of different makers I am asking myself what is the level of precision with which one may say: "that's this particular lens" judging exclusively by the image. Does our experience of MFL universe of the passed years develop such a "blind sample" capacity? I am not sure about myself. Sometimes I may guess apart Sonnar and Tessar, easier a triplet against a double Gauss. Sometimes I may say Minolta vs Schneider. But this is not as consistent as I wished it was.

Which level of precision do you have guessing lenses? And to which image parameters do you pay attention when determining the lens used for making the shot?

For example, could you say which lens or lens type or maker was used to produce the following shots?

#1 Corners are cropped

#3 Corners are cropped

#6 Corners are partly cropped

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Which lens signature is that? Our recognition capacity Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
. . .
Which level of precision do you have guessing lenses? And to which image parameters do you pay attention when determining the lens used for making the shot?
. . .

My level of discernment is probably at the low end among members here. I haven't yet learned to see much beyond sharpness, contrast, swirls and bubbles.

alex ph wrote:
For example, could you say which lens or lens type or maker was used to produce the following shots?
. . .

No, but I'd like to learn more, so I hope this discussion will continue.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some kit zoom for APS-C

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fellows, sorry for my belated reaction.

D1N0, that's a fixed length manual lens, not an APS zoom.

55, your mention of sharpness among the parameters you may distinguish sounds intriguing. Did you have an opportunity to recognize a lens by its exceptional or, the other way round, poor sharpness? Anyway what are lenses which have distinctive marks for you in image character?

To keep up the game, I add here an image taken with another lens. At you opinion, what kind of lens this IQ reveals?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which lens signature is that? Our recognition capacity Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Some lenses have quite distinctive visual parameters, like the splendid sharpness of Re.Topcors or Trioplan OOF bubbles. But you usually reach them knowing the precise lens you use. Some less cherished lenses have similar character to their celerbrities counterparts. I guess one may easily take a shot by Rollei Planar for the one made with Re.Topcor. Trioplan bubbles are also widely known as a more generic long triplets feature.

Using various lenses of different makers I am asking myself what is the level of precision with which one may say: "that's this particular lens" judging exclusively by the image. Does our experience of MFL universe of the passed years develop such a "blind sample" capacity? I am not sure about myself. Sometimes I may guess apart Sonnar and Tessar, easier a triplet against a double Gauss. Sometimes I may say Minolta vs Schneider. But this is not as consistent as I wished it was.

I'm not too bad figuring out which of my lenses lens took which shot based on the image, but there are just way too many lenses out there to be able to guess the lens used based off a few images from it.
My guess is a C mount lens around 50mm

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cropping image doesn't help at all identifying any type of lens, the corners help a lot on the ID
I'm also good enough to identify the lens used on my pics , and "sometimes" some other pics . But it's true , that ,depending on the intention of the photographer , not always should be easy.
In my opinion , most of the times ,the character of any specific lens ,should be seen wide open and it always help a lot to know what sensor was behind that image .

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Cropping image doesn't help at all identifying any type of lens, the corners help a lot on the ID
I'm also good enough to identify the lens used on my pics , and "sometimes" some other pics . But it's true , that ,depending on the intention of the photographer , not always should be easy.
In my opinion , most of the times ,the character of any specific lens ,should be seen wide open and it always help a lot to know what sensor was behind that image .

+1

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied from post in thread "Favorite non-swirly bokeh lenses?" here at http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=82677
calvin83 wrote:
It depends on the situation

Doughnut: Reflex lens
Bubble: Triplets(Trioplan) and etc.
Swirly: Biotar/Helios/Petzval and etc.
Gaussian: STF lenses
Variable bokeh: Nikon DC/Canon RF SA Macro

Imho, that's as close as majority will get as to "which lens?"

Maybe add Sonnar?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shots without special mention are uncropped. All are taken with Sony Nex, so an APS-C sensor.

Kiddo, could you please post a couple of your shots made with different lenses which you can clearly tell the origin. What are main features you pay attention to?

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my pics are family portraits ,and wide open ,except the group ones.
For myself , it's easy to tell ,for only using 4 lenses 50mm 1.4's , komura 100mm 1.8 is the most bubbles I've got wo (the other 100's are pretty close one to the other), septon shows it's 5blades closing iris , etc. It's easier to identify pics of the lenses that I own, many times color rendering helps a lot , but on 5.6-8-11 things are different .
I've used m4/3,apsc and FF and rendering it's different ,as expected , so it would be very hard to id somebody's lens (helios tunnel is more special)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
. . .
55, your mention of sharpness among the parameters you may distinguish sounds intriguing. Did you have an opportunity to recognize a lens by its exceptional or, the other way round, poor sharpness?

Recognize specific lenses? Unfortunately no, alex. I was speaking about sharpness / softness in broad terms. As I said earlier, I still have a lot to learn. I hope by the next time you start such a topic I'll be able to provide responses which are more engaging. Smile

alex ph wrote:
Anyway what are lenses which have distinctive marks for you in image character?

There are some well known Helios lenses which have distinctive rendering I enjoy. But for a less familiar choice, I would say Tamron 200mm f/6.3 preset.
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=8203

The Tamron is a favorite of mine because of its wide open rendering. At f/6.3 it has enough depth of field for context, fringing is minimal and sharpness is good enough for my taste. But it's the wide open vignetting and gentle swirls which give this lens a personality I really like. I use it mostly for flowers and garden landscapes.

At f/6.3 on Sony A7ii :

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
. . .
To keep up the game, I add here an image taken with another lens. At you opinion, what kind of lens this IQ reveals?

Maybe a fast 50 wide open? I have no idea what type of design.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Kiddo, that helps indeed.

55, your Tamron has a nice balance between overall sharpness and gentle swirl.

This one is Trioplan 2.9/50 wide open

Out of curiosity I am adding the same subject shot with an atypical lens

In the first shot you hardly note anything unusual due to the curved geometry of the items. But shooting forms that are presumed to remain rectilinear you discover a very much pronounced distortion which may be used as a special effect.