Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon CL 250mm does Hermannshof Spring Flowers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Canon CL 250mm does Hermannshof Spring Flowers Reply with quote

Using the Canon CL f4/250mm CAT lens on my Panasonic GH4 at Hermannhof Botanical Garden / Weinheim Germany

Full album is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157718893128699

Haven't been taking photos for over a year now, siggghhh...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small Friends

Time for more photos!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens has a reputation for intense colors and contrast...

I can state that this true...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results, Klaus.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks so nice. The bokeh in the 5th photos looks like from a mirror lens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

It is a mirror lens . It's visible on the donut of the 2 flower wine color , but still nice oof capable .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

It is a mirror lens . It's visible on the donut of the 2 flower wine color , but still nice oof capable .

Thanks. Sorry I missed the "CAT" in the title.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys and yes indeed it is a CAT lens and a fast one (f4) which also has a built in filter wheel (ND filters).
I got several of them and had them converted to universal M42 mount (non standard register!) so useable on Sony,
Panasonic and other mirrorless bodies. Amazing lens in my opinion with close-up focusing capabilty.

Carefully chosen BG avoids the CAT bokeh (I like it...)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very impressive Klaus.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Thanks guys and yes indeed it is a CAT lens and a fast one (f4) which also has a built in filter wheel (ND filters).
I got several of them and had them converted to universal M42 mount (non standard register!) so useable on Sony,
Panasonic and other mirrorless bodies. Amazing lens in my opinion with close-up focusing capabilty.

Carefully chosen BG avoids the CAT bokeh (I like it...)

Any pictures/details/notes on your conversion? What does the circuitry go to? I'm always curious about stuff like this- I wish I had one (they seem abit pricey), but then again I remember I own a Perkin Elmer 680mm f/12 Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazingly sharp and contrasty! I love mine, and use it on FF, which gets all the edge weirdness in, which I like. Just for the info, it is entirely possible to use this lens with no modification if you get a lens clamp from rafcamera (I think 82.5mm, but I can't check right now) and then get a M65 to (for me) Sony E adapter. This allows infinity to the normal close focus of the lens. Here is an example on FF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice example!
Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Toby!

My mechanic did the conversion and removed all the rear parts, replaced with a M42 mounting thread ring.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Nice Toby!

My mechanic did the conversion and removed all the rear parts, replaced with a M42 mounting thread ring.

That is the better way to do it, I think, but for those who don't want to invest more, it is possible my way for a bit over $50. I also have an OEM doubler that I can use this way, though it severely limits the image circle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Nice Toby!

That is the better way to do it, I think, but for those who don't want to invest more, it is possible my way for a bit over $50. I also have an OEM doubler that I can use this way, though it severely limits the image circle.

Well, I paid EUR50 for the whole conversion + shipping including a SONY-E/MFT mount Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, I wish I lived in Germany sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Nice Toby!

Any details on how your way allows the use of the OEM doubler?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mount the doubler, the three sets crews of the clamp are high enough to still secure the body of the lens, with the doubler sitting against the back of the clamp. However the doubler severely reduces the image circle. When I am home in a month I will report back in more detail. It might still cover MFT.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching more info about the Canon CAT lens, I found this setup. That must be very useful for close-ups, given the smaller hight over the ground level. Have you also used it like that, Klaus?

But seriously, image clarity is very impressive.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Searching more info about the Canon CAT lens, I found this setup. That must be very useful for close-ups, given the smaller hight over the ground level. Have you also used it like that, Klaus?

But seriously, image clarity is very impressive.

Always do for my flower shots, gives a nice(r) perspective. BG separation is excellent and so is close focus capability!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these lenses. I haven't used it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I have Fujifilm APS-C and Olympus M4/3 bodies I want to use it on. I don't have a FF camera body.

I am interested in the temporary ways of adapting without modification, but I am not familiar with all the terminology. Doing a little web searching, I found what a lens clamp is, and measured the back of my lens with calipers. The ribbed aperture (ND filter) ring has a max diameter of 81.1mm, so it looks to me like the 82.5mm clamp is the right one to use from here: https://rafcamera.com/clamp-82-5mm-to-m65x1m. Can you confirm that is what you have? Where do you position the lens in the clamp: do you insert it into the clamp as far as it will go?

I am not familiar with M65x1, but I know it simply means 65mm threads with a 1mm pitch. However, is there a standard lens mount and flange/register distance for M65x1 for photography uses? How would I know what is the correct adapter thickness for adapting this male thread mount to my cameras? Did you just mount it and test that it still reached infinity focus OK, or did you know for sure the right distances and thicknesses in advance? I'm not sure whether I'm saying this clearly, but I'm just asking whether there's a known right way to do it, or whether it's trial-and-error and good luck.

I'm also interested in considering removing the rear of the lens and converting it to something easy-to-adapt, such as Canon EF (EOS) or Leica M. Does anyone have recommendations for someone skilled and trustworthy at doing such a conversion?

By the way, my copy is essentially open-box. It looks unused and has the original box, manual, warranty card, soft bag, styrofoam inserts to cradle the lens in the box, etc. I feel really fortunate to have found it in such great condition. It's quite a solidly built lens, very impressive!

I'd scan and upload the manual, but it's poster-sized and folded tightly so I'd have to cut it into pieces and iron it to scan it well.