Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

GOI Sirius 50mm/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: GOI Sirius 50mm/1.8 Reply with quote

Here are some photos made with this prototype made by the GOI in 1935 (or 1937 according to other source). They were trying to make their own cinema serie, and this was the first attempt. There was different focal : 28/35/50/75/100, all with max relative aperture f1.8. But it did not went into production because IQ was not great. They later developped the first Helios lenses (50/75/100 at f2 and then in 1938 f1.35).
So, it's a little peace of history attached to my A7.
It is not a really sharp lens, but it has very strong caracter. It's a lens based on Triplet, with additional element.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Pierre, results remind me of that Biotar 75mm look... Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dizzy. Hurts brain.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Dizzy. Hurts brain.

Yes, I can't think what a movie done with that would look like?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems a bit 'over the top', but it could be an interesting creative tool for specific-look shots. For example, the first shot and the bicycle wheel close up have a combination of distances and other factors
that suit the lens quite well when one wants that swirly soft look. I'd surely be curious to try such a toy and have good fun with it, even if that means struggling to get the most from it. I suspect I'll never get the chance though,
it has to be quite rare.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
Well, it seems a bit 'over the top', but it could be an interesting creative tool for specific-look shots. For example, the first shot and the bicycle wheel close up have a combination of distances and other factors
that suit the lens quite well when one wants that swirly soft look. I'd surely be curious to try such a toy and have good fun with it, even if that means struggling to get the most from it. I suspect I'll never get the chance though,
it has to be quite rare.

Rare is the right word. The GOI usualy make between 1 and 5 exemplars of every prototype. I know two other exemplars, but with different housing (for the use with prism, for color cine camera). I myself own 2 exemplars (the 2223 and 2225). There is good chance that the 2224 is also a Sirius 50/1.8, but it could be another lens, since this numbering include any prototype made (in order number).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

I can't think what a movie done with that would look like?

That was my first question too! And as Pierre commented on the prototype genesis of the lens, I realized that it was not used largely in film production. They might try it in making of an experimental documentary, something like The Glorious Achievements of Industry in Kanak Region to Greet the XIX Party Congress. And they discovered that after 10 minutes of viewing a half of spectators get a kind of epileptic attack. So they stopped investing in this lens and passed to the next optical design... Thank You Dog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is ever filmed but the lens would have been perfect for it. Very Happy

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_diaboliad
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endiablade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a thrilling idea, a very well chosen scenario!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More with this lens today.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
More with this lens today.

superb for me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small