Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Getting that Vintage Look from my Helios-40 85mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Getting that Vintage Look from my Helios-40 85mm Reply with quote

These are pictures of Rajasthani children living in an encampment not far from where I live. I used a Helios-40 85mm at f1.7 and Sony A7riii. I am starting to develop a certain "look" with this lens. I like the vintage quality of the colors and the graduated blur. Please click on the pictures for a more pleasing rendition.

-Charles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting that Vintage Look from my Helios-40 85mm Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
These are pictures of Rajasthani children living in an encampment not far from where I live. I used a Helios-40 85mm at f1.7 and Sony A7riii. I am starting to develop a certain "look" with this lens. I like the vintage quality of the colors and the graduated blur. Please click on the pictures for a more pleasing rendition.

-Charles

Very nice outcome. BTW, if you don't mind, may I ask you why you feel so necessary that vintage look for shooting contemporary people in 2021? Not a criticism, please, only to understand more deeply your project.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting that Vintage Look from my Helios-40 85mm Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
charley5 wrote:

-Charles

Very nice outcome. BTW, if you don't mind, may I ask you why you feel so necessary that vintage look for shooting contemporary people in 2021? Not a criticism, please, only to understand more deeply your project.

No criticism taken. Just as an aside, the true colors of the image aren't apparent unless you click on them so they are more muted if you didn't. Well, firstly I don't like the look of most modern lenses, often the results look artificial, overly sharpened, and boring. I find vintage lenses add atmosphere. That is the main reason why I use them. I also find they trigger a certain nostalgia, at least in me. The last reason is that there is an artistic or painterly quality to these shots that appeals to me. Such lenses are also more unpredictable and challenging to use... and I like a challenge. Please note the lens was shot almost wide open here, and if I had stopped down even to f4 the results would have appeared more conventional.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the rendering of many modern lenses to be very clinical, without soul or feeling, and I definitely want portraits to have a feeling to them which can enhance the feeling or personality I get of a person.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I find the rendering of many modern lenses to be very clinical, without soul or feeling, and I definitely want portraits to have a feeling to them which can enhance the feeling or personality I get of a person.

Yes, I totally agree. But I think we are in the minority. I think it comes down to the definition of art. The pics that my aunt takes with her iPhone can that be called art? Having a vintage lens alone does not mean the results will be artistic. I know art when I see it, at least to my vision. But if you asked me to define it, I could not.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

Yes, I totally agree. But I think we are in the minority. I think it comes down to the definition of art. The pics that my aunt takes with her iPhone can that be called art? Having a vintage lens alone does not mean the results will be artistic. I know art when I see it, at least to my vision. But if you asked me to define it, I could not.

I agree with both of you. Personally I'm always looking for lenses that have distinct character rather than exceptional technical performance. The Helios-40 fits that description, certainly.

Of course, lenses with exceptional technical performance can always be used to create interesting images too, and in a variety of ways.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
charley5 wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

I agree with both of you. Personally I'm always looking for lenses that have distinct character rather than exceptional technical performance. The Helios-40 fits that description, certainly.

Of course, lenses with exceptional technical performance can always be used to create interesting images too, and in a variety of ways.

Actually, I think it comes down to the photographer. But if a good photographer has the added benefit of a lens that yields interesting results, then the outcome can be exceptional.