Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Light-meter and analog photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Light-meter and analog photography Reply with quote

Having lovely SLR with lightmeter defect. That shouldn't be a problem today when nearly all smartphones can act like one. Anyone can advise good app for that purpose?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the app ‘Lux’

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of apps but not all phones support them. I tried 3 generations of Samsung Xcover but none worked. Now I have a crappy Canon A590 as a light meter, cost 5 euros, AA-batteries and very fast operation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an iPhone by the way. Works great. Very simple but effective app. Perfectly exposed negatives every time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one called LightMeter and one called Light Meter - Free.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lux. Does anybody know how to change its ISO setting?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iso is below together with the other options

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
The iso is below together with the other options

Thanks, i missed that!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a few on an earlier generation Samsung that is no longer in operation. My results were mixed, and I ended up just not trusting any of them. Maybe they're better now.

I originally tried them out because I thought they'd be a nice convenience. But I have two top-quality Gossen meters, later model ones that take 9v batteries, and they are dead-on accurate. These days you can pick up the Gossens, even the later model ones, for pretty cheap, so I'd rather just stick with what I know works.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weston Master Universal Exposure Meter (no batteries required!) http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=77455 (be sure to check out pentaxpete youtube video!)

also http://forum.mflenses.com/whats-your-favourite-light-meter-t16725.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this pocket digital camera as light meter. I set the ISO the same as film and transfer the readings. The great thing is I get a digital copy too. This particular model has a 'Movie digest' function. It takes a 4 second video when you take the photo and puts them all together into one long video.

Pic from Amazon. too lazy to get out my camera and photograph mine...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me old fashioned..........

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I use this pocket digital camera as light meter. I set the ISO the same as film and transfer the readings. The great thing is I get a digital copy too. This particular model has a 'Movie digest' function. It takes a 4 second video when you take the photo and puts them all together into one long video.

pic

How to meter taking lens faster than f/2.7, slower than f/5.9?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

pic

5.9 is max aperture zoom tele-end

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

pic

5.9 is max aperture zoom tele-end

Laugh 1 Screwed that up, didn't I? LOL

I guess it isn't too big a stretch to set aperture priority to f/8 then do the math on the shutter speed...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

I guess it isn't too big a stretch to set aperture priority to f/8 then do the math on the shutter speed...

I usually set the digital apterture to 5.6, but my film cameras are so low quality it is the aperture I mostly use too. Smile

(Ercona II, Yashicaflex C and Kiev 4am I fixed the rangefinder myself ...)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All photos are beautiful. Thank you for this thread.