Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The cheap zooms magnolia test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: The cheap zooms magnolia test Reply with quote

I had good light on three consecutive days at the time of magnolia bloom.

So I took one lens a day and wanted to check what three cheap zooms (less than 50 euros each) could do in proxy photography.

Let me know your thoughts.

First: Tamron 27A 28-80 3,5-4,2
Second: Minolta MD 35-70 3,5 Macro
Third: Canon FD 70-150 4,5

Now, bring in your 1kg 2000 € Zeiss lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the Canon, but I have the Tamron and the Rokkor. I love the Rokkor, it's been my 'grab it and go' lens for a very long time. I've also had a great respect for the Tamron, and it's a slightly bigger range. But I go to the Rokkor. Looking at your pictures, I should use the Tamron more. And if I stumble across the Canon, going cheap, I'll probably buy it. But....when I have two great zooms?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images. A very very good photographer can make a cheap lens look very very good. Wink Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things you can do with a nominally macro-enabled long zoom are often only limited by the photographers creativity and perhaps the light on the day...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I don't have the Canon, but I have the Tamron and the Rokkor. I love the Rokkor, it's been my 'grab it and go' lens for a very long time. I've also had a great respect for the Tamron, and it's a slightly bigger range. But I go to the Rokkor. Looking at your pictures, I should use the Tamron more. And if I stumble across the Canon, going cheap, I'll probably buy it. But....when I have two great zooms?

The Tamron is impressive in the 28 60mm range stopped down once. Same until 80mm stopped down twice.

The Minolta does not need to be stopped down much, except at 35mm, one click.

So in fact different usage and mood according to the range you favour and available light. The Tamron needs a hint of added vibrance to meet Minolta's colors.

Very impressive lenses in both cases.

The canon is a different story since the range is completely different.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Very nice images. A very very good photographer can make a cheap lens look very very good. Wink Like 1 small

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
The things you can do with a nominally macro-enabled long zoom are often only limited by the photographers creativity and perhaps the light on the day...

Light was nice so it was quite easy indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Canon and the Minolta.

Excellent both.

The Tamrom seems to be a very good one too.

Nice to see more tamrons images

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks.