Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Munchen Macro-Tele-Quinar 135mm f/2.8 Aperture
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Steinheil Munchen Macro-Tele-Quinar 135mm f/2.8 Aperture Reply with quote

Bought this lens several years ago, but was seldomly used. Today I just found that the aperture remains wide open all the time. Lens is in M42 mount, and looked like new, aperture clicks, but the blades just not closed. Any advises? I am thinking maybe the aperture adjusted with the camera? But there is an aperture ring on it. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Steinheil Munchen Macro-Tele-Quinar 135mm f/2.8 Aperture Reply with quote

Most certainly the aperture blades are stuck with old grease. Remove either the front or rear element to reach the aperture assembly with a q-tip soaked in something like Isopropanol. After you've resolved enough of the sticky grease the aperture should close again and can be cleaned further if required. This is a common issue with old lenses, you will find plenty tutorials on this in this forum.

cellotone wrote:
Bought this lens several years ago, but was seldomly used. Today I just found that the aperture remains wide open all the time. Lens is in M42 mount, and looked like new, aperture clicks, but the blades just not closed. Any advises? I am thinking maybe the aperture adjusted with the camera? But there is an aperture ring on it. Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Steinheil Munchen Macro-Tele-Quinar 135mm f/2.8 Aperture Reply with quote

Gonzoo wrote:
Most certainly the aperture blades are stuck with old grease. Remove either the front or rear element to reach the aperture assembly with a q-tip soaked in something like Isopropanol. After you've resolved enough of the sticky grease the aperture should close again and can be cleaned further if required. This is a common issue with old lenses, you will find plenty tutorials on this in this forum./quote]

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look at it. Hope to make it moving again! Best regards, Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to take some photos, to document your progress and also to post them here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Macro Quinon in Exakta mount has the same problem. Aperture not working is pretty common in Steinheil Macro lenses.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Steinheil Munchen Macro-Tele-Quinar 135mm f/2.8 Aperture Reply with quote

Were you able to fix the problem?

cellotone wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look at it. Hope to make it moving again! Best regards, Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Steinheil Munchen Macro-Tele-Quinar 135mm f/2.8 Aperture Reply with quote

Gonzoo wrote:
Were you able to fix the problem?

cellotone wrote:

No. Found the aperture blades had been removed! I bought the lens few years ago, beautiful appearance and clean glasses, took several shots then put it back to the box, didn't check it thoroughly. A heavy lesson. Rolling Eyes

Thank you for all the help!!