Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 135mm 15 blades versus 6 blades
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 135mm 15 blades versus 6 blades Reply with quote

So I compared these two lenses side by side.
Check the full video to see the pics/videos in high resolution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5oNjQYAob0

Orestor 135 f8

Pentacon 135 f8

100% crop at f8

Orestor 135 f5.6

pentacon 135 f5.6

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changes in bokeh (out of focus highlights) and starbursts, but there is no need for a test to know that Very Happy I do not see any significant change in sharpness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more modern coatings of the Pentacon also show. Better contrast.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrast (also colors, vignetting) can be improved/corrected in post production, either digital or analog, so this is not a decisive point for me. Okay it is more confortable to have something good right from the lens, but this is something than can be corrected so this does not impeach a lens to deliver good results.
Sharpness is intermediate, like some aberrations (distorsion, Coma) : you can improve it only in digital and it has some limits, you cannot transform a poor lens into a keeper.
Bokeh, starbursts, flare resistance are not post processable (and I personaly dislike 6-blades lenses for both their starbursts and out of focus highlights), so this is more important to have something that we like and/or that we easily handle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason for me to buy this lens would be the almost perfectly round aperture, despite the later version having better coatings.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For portraiture I think the lower contrast and less saturation of old single coated lenses is better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both versions, I purchased the later, 6 blade version, for a small price, to see if it's possible to put the glass from that into the 15 blade version. It is, with the exception of the inner lens of the rear group, which is glued into the threaded holder, and the thread size is different than in the later version. All other elements were identically sized.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
The main reason for me to buy this lens would be the almost perfectly round aperture, despite the later version having better coatings.

+1 and lens design (seriously thick, cemented elements in front, both versions that is)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I have both versions, I purchased the later, 6 blade version, for a small price, to see if it's possible to put the glass from that into the 15 blade version. It is, with the exception of the inner lens of the rear group, which is glued into the threaded holder, and the thread size is different than in the later version. All other elements were identically sized.

That's a great idea. Well done.

It's kind of a shame they put a 6-bladed aperture on later versions of that lens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Alun Thomas wrote:

It's kind of a shame they put a 6-bladed aperture on later versions of that lens.

Please include Prakticar version in this idea.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
KEO wrote:
Alun Thomas wrote:

I don't have either of the other two lenses, only the Prakticar Pentacon.
I'm not sure these images help, but here they are anyway.
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
KEO wrote:
Alun Thomas wrote:

I don't have either of the other two lenses, only the Prakticar Pentacon.
I'm not sure these images help, but here they are anyway.
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones!
Like 1 Like 1