Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-40 85mm... Sample Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Helios-40 85mm... Sample Images Reply with quote

These are images of gypsy children. They are actually the children of Rajhastani road workers who live in an encampment not far from where I live. In fact, all gypsies are descendants of migratory peoples from Rajhastan and Gijirat, two provinces in India.

I think I finally tamed the Helios-40 to some extent. Firstly, I improved my focus success by buying an eye-cup, again fine-tuning the diopter setting, and also eliminating focus peaking because it was too distracting and not accurate. The result is a significantly larger ratio of at least one eye in critical focus (about 50%). Also, just as important, I am now achieving that strained vintage look which was my goal all along. This will be my look for a while!

Please click on the image for a more pleasing look.

-Charles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Very nice.

Like 1 small

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. They don't look very happy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strong portraits, nice photos!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

sad faces...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not do much sad as uncomfortable with very unusual situation. #2 & #3 especially seem happy but reserved.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Nice. They don't look very happy.

No. They mostly live in poverty. Amazing spirit though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
Strong portraits, nice photos!

Thanks a bunch!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Like 1

sad faces...

Yes, they live in a makeshift tent village. Most have nothing to do, so my coming is exciting for them. But poverty is certainly a main features of their lives. They are quite special though. there is a certain depth to their souls.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Not do much sad as uncomfortable with very unusual situation. #2 & #3 especially seem happy but reserved.

I think there is both a combination of sadness and indomitable spirit. They are also a bit wild, particularly the younger ones. It doesn't help that school got locked down due to Covid.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice portraits. I feel sad for the children and their difficult childhood, but it's nice to see more honest and pure facial expressions. I wouldn't call them sad necessarily (surely not all of them), just nobody taught them that they "should" have that fake grin on their faces when taking photographs. That can be fine too of course, even cute with kids, but I prefer these more candid portraits.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dejan wrote:
Very nice portraits. I feel sad for the children and their difficult childhood, but it's nice to see more honest and pure facial expressions. I wouldn't call them sad necessarily (surely not all of them), just nobody taught them that they "should" have that fake grin on their faces when taking photographs. That can be fine too of course, even cute with kids, but I prefer these more candid portraits.

I completely agree Dejan. But the vintage quality also gives the images a certain starkness. The atmosphere projected is almost bleak even though you don't see much of their environment in these images. That is why I like vintage over modern for atmosphere.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

I think there is both a combination of sadness and indomitable spirit. They are also a bit wild, particularly the younger ones. It doesn't help that school got locked down due to Covid.

They also reflect your serious expression fiddling with the camera and lens trying to get everything just exactly perfect. People are quick to smile when smiled at. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
charley5 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

They also reflect your serious expression fiddling with the camera and lens trying to get everything just exactly perfect. People are quick to smile when smiled at. Smile

I am not sure if that is the main reason for their serious demeanor. They have plenty to be dejected about. I also use a more relaxed voice when reassuring them as I take the shot, although they do not understand the specific meaning of my words. Finally, they cannot really see my expression, as I am wearing a large N95 mask. Perhaps the mask lends something to the gravity of the situation though.