Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Ultron or Septon?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Ultron or Septon? Reply with quote

I have an Ultron 50/1,8 in Icarex mount.

Now can buy one of these two lenses

a- Another Ultron (in M42 mount) U$S 390 to have both versions.

b- Septon 50/2 with Ultramatic CS body and 135/4 lens u$s 320

None cheap. The normal price, I guess.

I would like to buy one.

Which to choose?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to find Septon without separation. Check well before buying. Would be nice to see a comparison of both lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ultron was Tronnier's masterpiece as the successor of the older Septon.
I think that's the better deal, particularly in M42.
BTW, Zeiss is only the branding, actually it's a Voigtländer lens.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Ultron or Septon? Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

I would like to buy one.

Which to choose?

Personally I would go for the Ultramatic & Septon - simply because I usually prefer to have different computations over having "all" versions of one computation. I don't have the Ultron (yet), but I was lucky to find a like-new Ultramatic CS with a 2/50mm Septon (like new as well, no separation) back in 2018 at a local flea market. Price was rather modest, around CHF 25.-- as far as I remember. So, sadly, I can't compare the two lenses (Ultron vs Septon) ...

S

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have the M42 ULTRON since many years; superb lens!!

Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157632970595464

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
It is hard to find Septon without separation. Check well before buying. Would be nice to see a comparison of both lenses.

Thanks Pancolart. The problem is the purchase will came by mail. I don't trust very much.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Ultron or Septon? Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
papasito wrote:

I would like to buy one.

Which to choose?

Personally I would go for the Ultramatic & Septon - simply because I usually prefer to have different computations over having "all" versions of one computation. I don't have the Ultron (yet), but I was lucky to find a like-new Ultramatic CS with a 2/50mm Septon (like new as well, no separation) back in 2018 at a local flea market. Price was rather modest, around CHF 25.-- as far as I remember. So, sadly, I can't compare the two lenses (Ultron vs Septon) ...

S

Thank you, Stevemark.

When I used the Septon with an old Ultramatic CS (I was a Voigtlander collector in those days) was in the 90's.

With today sensors all the history of the old lenses is writing again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Well I have the M42 ULTRON since many years; superb lens!!

Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157632970595464

Thank you Kds315.

I watched your pics and are very nice ones.

High definition lens

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both with mint glass... I am not able to decide which one is better. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get A Zenitar-M 50mm 1.7 instead. Probably my best 50 ish lens.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Get A Zenitar-M 50mm 1.7 instead.

Interesting suggestion!

D1N0 wrote:
Probably my best 50 ish lens.

What other 50ish lenses did you compare to your Zenitar?
Would you mind to support your opinion by some images taken side-by-side with some of your different 50ish lenses?

That would be interesting for many people, methinks!

S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Interesting suggestion!

D1N0 wrote:

Would you mind to support your opinion by some images taken side-by-side with some of your different 50ish lenses?

S

I don't believe in objective lens testing. Quality perception is not always measurable. I like it's crisp/bright rendering and smooth bokeh. Here is my Zenitar-m Album https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomdump/albums/72157706669544345

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone wants to do separation recementing here a bargain Septon: https://www.ebay.de/itm/septon-50-2-voigtlander/333929430808

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
stevemark wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Interesting suggestion!

D1N0 wrote:

S

Quality perception is not always measurable.

I absolutely agree on that.

D1N0 wrote:
I don't believe in objective lens testing.

However, as long as you don't compare the lenses side-by-side and with the same subject (be it for bokeh, rendering or corner resolution), all your writing is just anecdotal.

D1N0 wrote:
I like it's crisp/bright rendering and smooth bokeh.

So again: Do some work, and show us the advantages of the Zenitar! I don't have one, otherwise I would ...

Greetings Wink S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss Ultron or Septon? Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I don't believe in objective lens testing. Quality perception is not always measurable.

Well said.

All versions of the Zenitar, even the dirt cheap plastic 2/50 are superb lenses, very sharp indeed with very good coatings and high macro and micro contrast.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

I don't believe in objective lens testing. Quality perception is not always measurable. I like it's crisp/bright rendering and smooth bokeh. Here is my Zenitar-m Album https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomdump/albums/72157706669544345

I completly agree with you. The gallery is excellent in showcasing the lens, it instantly reminded me of this https://www.manuellfokus.no/zenitar-m-50mm-f1-7/ and is much more useful than the usual pixel peeping crops of tiny houses in extreme corners shot wide open at infinity.

It s easy to see how it would be better in that respect for someone picking a 50 f1.8 presuming the usual reason for it, the search for smooth creamy bokeh (not meaning the OP here). Yellowish tint, interesting flare (i am partly in disagreement with iangreenhalgh1 on this) etc. I don t need that lens on my camera, or do side by side comparisons to tell it s quite different and in some aspects better than some fifties i own like the Ultron 50/1.8, or the Yashinon DX 50/1.7, or the Konica 50/1.7 etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like interesting flares, in fact one of my favourite 50s and one I would highly recommend as a cheaper, easier to find alternative to the Ultron or Septon is the Schneider Xenon 1.9/50 in DKL mount. That Xenon has all kinds of possibilities for creating flares, use it late in the day when the sun is low in the sky and you can get some really beautiful, dreamy flaring.

I also really love the Hexanon 1.7/50, it is one of the very best in it's class imho.

So many great 50s out there, it really does boil down to personal preference if the aesthetics and character of the rendering rather than pixel level technical details are of more concern, which I think is the vast majority of us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="iangreenhalgh1"]I like interesting flares, in fact one of my favourite 50s and one I would highly recommend as a cheaper, easier to find alternative to the Ultron or Septon is the Schneider Xenon 1.9/50 in DKL mount. That Xenon has all kinds of possibilities for creating flares, use it late in the day when the sun is low in the sky and you can get some really beautiful, dreamy flaring.

The Zenitar looks to flare in a way that can be used creatively in some situations. I have a Xenon 50/1.9 but never noticed it to be prone to flare, but mine is a very late M42 version, so perhaps with different coatings.

I also really love the Hexanon 1.7/50, it is one of the very best in it's class imho.

I find this comparison very interesting (using google translate), and very different from the norm, most would say the Rokkor is by far the sharper lens, yet the author seems to find them comparable (at least that s what i understand from the translation):

https://spiral-m42.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2021-02-03T22:36:00%2B09:00&max-results=2

So many great 50s out there, it really does boil down to personal preference if the aesthetics and character of the rendering rather than pixel level technical details are of more concern, which I think is the vast majority of us.

For me and for some of my friends in real life and on the web it seems it goes in phases, it starts with looking for sharpness (some people get stuck there forever), with time and using the lenses other aspects become more interesting, the next phase is usually bokeh, followed by color rendering phase and after that it s the size and weight phase. After that usually what follows is a looking back fase at the lenses one collected over the years and the realization that one can settle down.

It s just like with women, at one point we settle down with one that we usually marry Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three or four Minolta 1.7/50s, another great lens. Sharper than the Hexanon? I don't know, I never noticed that, certainly the Hexanon is very sharp, but there is always copy variation to account for. All I am sure of is both the Rokkor and Hexanon are more than sharp enough for my use. I tend to prefer the Rokkor 2/45 to the Rokkor 1.7/50, for it's colours and rendering.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Ultron is a good buy. The Bessamatic/Septon just so so. I have both of these on my ebay "watch worldwide new listings" and you can get a good Septon for around 200, the Bessamatic (assuming its full functioning) is probably another hundred. The m42 Ulrons, when they appear tend to be at least twice that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no reason to get another Ultron unless you want to collect it in both mounts. Get a Septon without separation is a better idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Zeiss Ultron m42, not mint, but still produce nice results. long time ago I was interested in septon, but the price never good enough.
septon results not really amazed me.
Zenitar 50/1,7 is nice, I had it once.
other German lens consideration are, Schneider xenon 50/1,9, Rodenstock Heligon 50/1,9 or 50/2,