Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 2.8/28 compared to ML 2.8/35: an underdog really?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML 2.8/28 compared to ML 2.8/35: an underdog really? Reply with quote

I am coming to the last of my small Yashica ML set. After ML 1.9/50, ML 1.4/50 and ML 2.8/35 here comes Yashica ML 2.8/28.

This lens is sometimes told to be the "worst" of the ML series, at least the one which has the poorest IQ. I cannot confirm that. On the contrary, I'd say it stands well by the side of highly praised ML 2.8/35, in terms of general IQ and resisance to flare. To be sure of my impression, I put side by side several views photographed by both lenses at different aperture values. The shots were taken in two different days, so light conditions differ slightly. In spite of that the whole series gives a pretty good idea, I think.

All those shots are out-of-camera jpgs resized, except one couple retouched, explicitly marked. The camera is an APS-C Sony Nex. First comes a shot from ML 2.8/28, next from ML 2.8/35. I present here only shots wide open and at f4, as at from f5.6 and further the already small difference vanishes completely.

#1 Yashica ML 2.8/28, at f4 (I have a slight doubt if I touched contrasts in this shot: if yes, the touch was minimal)

#2 Yashica ML 2.8/35, at f4

#3 Yashica ML 2.8/28, at f4, unprocessed as well as the followng ones (I clearly marked that in my notes)

#4 Yashica ML 2.8/35, at f4

#5 Yashica ML 2.8/28, at f2.8

#6 Yashica ML 2.8/35, at f2.8

#7 Yashica ML 2.8/28, at f2.8

#8 Yashica ML 2.8/35, at f2.8

#9 Yashica ML 2.8/28, at f4

#10 Yashica ML 2.8/35, at f4

#11 Yashica ML 2.8/28, at f4, with contrast and exposure corrected. The most visible difference from ML 2.8/35 is purple fringing in strong counterligt which gets more visible with contrast boosted.

#12 Yashica ML 2.8/35, at f4, with contrast and exposure corrected

Here follows a couple of single SOOC shots from ML 2.8/28.

#13 Yashica ML 2.8/28, at f4, back to unprocessed. One may note that fringing is not that visible in all counterlight situations.

#14 Yashica ML 2.8/28, at f4. With a good light and exposure colours are saturated and contrast is great already SOOC.

#15 Yashica ML 2.8/28, at f4. A close-up is neither bad.

For me those results speak well in favour of the ML 2.8/28. Please judge by yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Yashica ML 2.8/28 compared to ML 2.8/35: an underdog rea Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
I am coming to the last of my small Yashica ML set. After ML 1.9/50, ML 1.4/50 and ML 2.8/35 here comes Yashica ML 2.8/28.

This lens is sometimes told to be the "worst" of the ML series, at least the one which has the poorest IQ. I cannot confirm that.

There are at least two different versions of the Yashica ML 2.8/28mm, an earlier [8/7] design and a later [7/6]. I have the later ML 2.8/28mm [7/6] which is mediocre. Not bad, but sklightly inferior to the contemporary Canon / Minolta / Nikon / Zeiss CY 2.8/28mm designs. Maybe you have the [8/7] version?

S

EDIT similarly, the ML 2.8/35mm exists in two versions - a ML 2.8/35mm [7/6] and a ML 2.8/35mm [6/5].

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Stephan, I was unaware of two versions. I looked through a thread dedicated to the topic in this forum, but essential links lead to nowhere. So I could not say which version I have. Its serial starts with A1242, the MFD is 0.3m. That might be second version, I guess?

Some additional sources are pretty contradictory about the IQ per version. Here is a discussion in Yashica dedicated forum, where some members state that versions difference is less important than the lens condition.

And here is a review which is far from being really complimentary, stating outmost the lens' great central sharpness. But the samples the guy presents are just outstanding as for the IQ.

Buy the way, I should also acknowledge that, aside visible purple fringing, the lens shows some visible fall of corner sharpness at f2.8-f4 even with APS-C sensor. For me that was not an issue, as the landscape I shot was as patchy as an old library. I find it generally a pretty tolerable issue, as this approaches the shot to psychological effect of human vision. But I admit that for more common landscape use this is considered a heavy sin.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comparison Vs the Zeiss Distagon: https://yadi.sk/a/vxGr_ivD3XXhA4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Thank you, Stephan, I was unaware of two versions. I looked through a thread dedicated to the topic in this forum, but essential links lead to nowhere. So I could not say which version I have. Its serial starts with A1242, the MFD is 0.3m. That might be second version, I guess?

I don't know, to be honest. The lens sections shown here may give you some indication, however:

The earlier [8/7] construction should have nine reflexes in front of the aperture, the later [7/6] should have only seven reflexes in front of the aperture. When counting the reflexes, it should be dark, and you should have only one single (spot) light source. A LED flashlight at a distance of 3-4 meters works very well. Counting all reflexes may be a bit tricky because some are much stronger or larger than others. And sometimes there are (addidional) very faint "reflexes of reflexes" which can distract you. But generally it works pretty well.

My ML 2.8/28mm actually has seven reflexes in front of the aperture, and six reflexes behind the aperture - perfectly consistent with the [7/6] lens section shown above. Thus my S/N A12006716 lens must be a [7/6] formula. Note that my serial number strangely has one digit more than all the serials cited in this thread (https://yashica.boards.net/thread/348/yashica-ml-28mm-f2-8 )!!

alex ph wrote:
Some additional sources are pretty contradictory about the IQ per version. Here is a discussion in Yashica dedicated forum, where some members state that versions difference is less important than the lens condition.

This is absolutely common for "knowledge" published in forums, not only about photography, but nearly all subjects. If you check closely, you'll rarely find someone who can support his statements with carefully controlled experimental results. I'm quite aware of the fact that very few people actually are comparing ten or fifteen vintage lenses with similar specs and under controlled conditions. Thst said, I have tested only the [7/6] version of the ML 2.8/28mm and thus neither can comment on the [8/7] nor on Yashica sample variation!

I've just re-run a large test with a dozen different 2.8/28mm lenses from most of the well known OEM, plus a Tokina RMC, using the 43 MP A7RII FF camera instead of the common 24MP FF. Those tests conferm significant differences between the lenses tested. Results will publlished later.

alex ph wrote:
And here is a review which is far from being really complimentary, stating outmost the lens' great central sharpness. But the samples the guy presents are just outstanding as for the IQ.

alex ph wrote:
Buy the way, I should also acknowledge that, aside visible purple fringing, the lens shows some visible fall of corner sharpness at f2.8-f4 even with APS-C sensor. For me that was not an issue, as the landscape I shot was as patchy as an old library. I find it generally a pretty tolerable issue, as this approaches the shot to psychological effect of human vision. But I admit that for more common landscape use this is considered a heavy sin.

Rules never are meant to be followed strictly. They may make things easier for beginners, they may be OK in 70% or 95% of the cases - but every single situation is unique, and only you can decide what is best under the cicumstances given. However it's pretty clear to me than some people make thrilling and extraordinary images while most others - at exactly the same location and at the same time - simply fail to produce anything meaningful.

S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little teaser for the test of twelve 2.8/28mm on 43MP FF. There are pretty obvious differences even at f11:

AS SUSAL, PLEASE CLICK TWO TIMES ON THE IMAGE TO GET THE FULL SIZE VIEW.
THE PREVIEWS SHOWN HERE WITHIN THE POSTNG MAY BE MISLEADING.

S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
A comparison Vs the Zeiss Distagon: https://yadi.sk/a/vxGr_ivD3XXhA4

Another impressive demonstration. It's hard to tell them apart.

Stephan, thanks for all this info. I counted from 9 to 11 reflexions, as some of them are really tiny and some show themselves at the edge of the front lens when you turn it a bit. I admit I was never strong in reflexions count. I think it's plausible to attest I have a 9-reflexions lens, other than a 7-reflexions one. So, the first version.

Your comparison of corner performance is speaking, as always. I have a 24mm Tokina, and it looks like a family trait, fuzzy corners of their wide angle lenses. In front of it your "bad" Yashica stands good. Even though a general impression that the 24mm Tokina gives to real world shots is natural and pleasing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen shots from Yashica ML 2.8/28 in BW. So adding here a couple of them.

A simple BW conversion

Processed in Nik Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more test shots by Yashica ML 2.8/28, the first one unprocessed, in the other three contrast and exposure are slightly corrected.

#1 Caught a flare, which seems to be pretty rare with this lens

#2 WO, nice bokeh and some 3D efefct at a right distance

#3 At f4, 3D goes more visible

#4 At f5.6, the main subject is even better distinguished, in spite of the iris closed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

Stephan, thanks for all this info. I counted from 9 to 11 reflexions, as some of them are really tiny and some show themselves at the edge of the front lens when you turn it a bit. I admit I was never strong in reflexions count. I think it's plausible to attest I have a 9-reflexions lens, other than a 7-reflexions one. So, the first version.

Interesting. Could you post a few images of your [8/7] lens showing the front, the back and the side? I'll do the same wit my [7/6] version; let's see if we can find some outside differences, too!

Thanks & greez,

S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a captivating task, Stephan! I'll be glad to post some shots once I get back to the place I left the lens. I did not think to shoot it before. I'll post here as soon as I put my hand back on it, I think in a month or so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan, I got back to the lens. Here it is

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Stephan, I got back to the lens. Here it is

No obvious difference to my sample ... Thanks for sharing the images!

S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome! That would have been cool if some visible signs might be noted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently took my Nex with Yashica ML 2.8/35 on and turned back to the forest, to find it... burnt.

It's a bitter show, to see the wild beauty so violently reduced to ashes. So this sequel is about the same places hurt by fire other than about lenses compared.

While crossing burnt spaces and passing by suffocated plants one also notes perfectly conserved green spots and sprouts of new life springing through the ashes. This gives a nice touch of hope to the land of desolation.