Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Typo on nikkor lens collectible ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Typo on nikkor lens collectible ? Reply with quote

Hi guys. I have this pre AI 28 f3,5 with a typo on the name. It says "Kog ku" instead of "Kogaku" and letters are engraved, not painted. I'll try to add a picture. Is this collectible ? Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... there is this guy on eBay who peddles old Nikkor lenses for obscene prices on the basis that it has red dot here and not there, and other stuff of that sort. If you manage to find him - check his sales history, it may give you an idea of how robust the market is for these things.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Typo on nikkor lens collectible ? Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Typo on nikkor lens collectible ? Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Hi guys. I have this pre AI 28 f3,5 with a typo on the name. It says "Kog ku" instead of "Kogaku" and letters are engraved, not painted. I'll try to add a picture. Is this collectible ? Thanks for reading.

Alphabetic aberration?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe ask in a Nikon lenses forum...many eyeballs there...somebody may have seen it before. Although here at mflenses.com there are probably eyeballs having seen more Nikon lenses while searching for manual focus lenses. Smile

Unique or close to it, i.e. rare, is collectable imho. The hard part is finding a Collector!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like anything collectible the value is determined by the market. What I would do if I wanted maximum return? Put on ebay with a inflated price, then wait, to develop interest. After some suitable time frame (to be determined by how much you need the money) change to an auction.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Maybe ask in a Nikon lenses forum...many eyeballs there...somebody may have seen it before. Although here at mflenses.com there are probably eyeballs having seen more Nikon lenses while searching for manual focus lenses. Smile

Unique or close to it, i.e. rare, is collectable imho. The hard part is finding a Collector!

It would probably only have added value if there was some provenance attached, such as a magazine article interview in which someone from Nikon acknowledged said defect with an interesting story to go with the new price tag. Without the acknowledgement by the source, it's more about how much hype you can bolster. Anyway, we all know that any added value for a lens lies in the glass, not the barrel. As in hidden performance. There would be more value trying to prove they used NOCT glass for this special lens. Wink

Yet the mints attached little provenance to double strikes of stamps and coins...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Like anything collectible the value is determined by the market. What I would do if I wanted maximum return? Put on ebay with a inflated price, then wait, to develop interest. After some suitable time frame (to be determined by how much you need the money) change to an auction.

😂 Good plan ! Thanks !