Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SOLIGOR “P” ? What does the P designate.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: SOLIGOR “P” ? What does the P designate. Reply with quote

Recently I saw a SOLIGOR P 200mm f2.8 lens listed by Hunts Audio and Video for sale. Hunt’s photo is shown.
This version predates a C/D version, which I believe has a different configuration. Does the red P have any meaning?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: SOLIGOR “P” ? What does the P designate. Reply with quote

jmkmva wrote:
Recently I saw a SOLIGOR P 200mm f2.8 lens listed by Hunts Audio and Video for sale. Hunt’s photo is shown.
This version predates a C/D version, which I believe has a different configuration. Does the red P have any meaning?

It is said it stands for "Professional". I think this lens is also the C/D version. There are two C/D versions of this lens. One is this one by Tokina and another is by Sun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red letter (P) designates the professional lens series.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paolos wrote:
The red letter (P) designates the professional lens series.

Welcome paolos!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: SOLIGOR “P” ? What does the P designate. Reply with quote

jmkmva wrote:
. . .
This version predates a C/D version, which I believe has a different configuration.

My own Soligor 200 f/2.8 serial #17503274 has a red "P" on the front name ring and a white "C/D" on the aperture ring.

jmkmva wrote:
Does the red P have any meaning?

As mentioned by vivaldibow and paolos, "Professional" sounds plausible. But I've never seen any Soligor literature which actually spells out what "P" stands for. The same for "C/D".
If anyone has Soligor literature which explicitly states what "P" and "C/D" stand for, it would be fun to see it. Smile

The best example I have is from the back page of a circa 1974 C/D lenses brochure:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: SOLIGOR “P” ? What does the P designate. Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
There are two C/D versions of this lens. One is this one by Tokina and another is by Sun.

The Sun version didn't get the C/D label afaik, I believe it was part of the GS series, of which the 200/2.8 was maybe the most distinguished. The other lenses were slightly faster than standard: 28/2.5 300/4.5 and 400/5.6

I've also seen a 100 F2 which I'm not sure if it was part of the same series, and also can't recall if there was a 35mm sold as part of the series.

The Sun 200/2.8 can also be found labelled as a 'Sun Optical'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer Designed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: SOLIGOR “P” ? What does the P designate. Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
There are two C/D versions of this lens. One is this one by Tokina and another is by Sun.

The Sun version didn't get the C/D label afaik, I believe it was part of the GS series, of which the 200/2.8 was maybe the most distinguished. The other lenses were slightly faster than standard: 28/2.5 300/4.5 and 400/5.6

I've also seen a 100 F2 which I'm not sure if it was part of the same series, and also can't recall if there was a 35mm sold as part of the series.

The Sun 200/2.8 can also be found labelled as a 'Sun Optical'

Thanks. Sorry for my wrong memory. Only Tokina has C/D label.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: SOLIGOR “P” ? What does the P designate. Reply with quote

55 wrote:
. . .
If anyone has Soligor literature which explicitly states what "P" and "C/D" stand for, it would be fun to see...

Regarding "C/D", I found some information in a Soligor C/D lenses brochure - different from the page I shared earlier.
This may not be conclusive documentation for "Computer Designed", but it might be as close to definitive as we'll get. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read this leaflet and you will understand why all marketeers should burn in hell :p