Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AUS JENA (CZJ) pancolar 80mm1.8 auction
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: AUS JENA (CZJ) pancolar 80mm1.8 auction Reply with quote

Nice example on the bay for those interested. I have no affiliation with the seller but already have a very good copy and I'm saving for a batis18mm 2.8.

My tab won't copy links but here is the title of the listing.

AUS JENA (CARL ZEISS JENA) MC PANCOLAR 1:1.8/80mm M42 Lens Lens/J011

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: AUS JENA (CZJ) pancolar 80mm1.8 auction Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Nice example on the bay for those interested. I have no affiliation with the seller but already have a very good copy and I'm saving for a batis18mm 2.8.

My tab won't copy links but here is the title of the listing.

AUS JENA (CARL ZEISS JENA) MC PANCOLAR 1:1.8/80mm M42 Lens Lens/J011

Can't find it; there are several other listings.

Can you copy the item number and use Attila's EBAY button in reply to tag it with BBCODE?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/aus-Jena-Carl-Zeiss-Jena-MC-Pancolar-1-1-8-80mm-M42-Objektiv-lens-J011/265032856072?hash=item3db5307208:g:fe4AAOSwABdgFK-g&frcectupt=true

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

627 Euros plus tax plus shipping.
Not a cheap lens for sure
T

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
T

... and it's not even the real "Carl Zeiss Jena", but just the "Aus Jena" ... Wink

Yep, those 1.8/80mm are expensive these days. A few moths ago there was one in a local Swiss auction, and it went fro nearly CHF 500.--, too. However, it was a "Carl Zeiss Jena" !

S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got two of them, paid around 350 EUR each, both in EX++ condition Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did a bid, but 627 is a bit too much for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend going after the PB-mounted Prakticar 80/1.8. It tends to be cheaper and can focus ~20cm closer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
T

... and it's not even the real "Carl Zeiss Jena", but just the "Aus Jena" ... Wink

Yep, those 1.8/80mm are expensive these days. A few moths ago there was one in a local Swiss auction, and it went fro nearly CHF 500.--, too. However, it was a "Carl Zeiss Jena" !

S

Hello,
Yours was surely a joke, since "aus Jena" and "Carl Zeiss Jena" are the same lenses, branded for different markets...

An excellent lens indeed!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmar Lang wrote:
stevemark wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
T

S

Hello,
Yours was surely a joke, since "aus Jena" and "Carl Zeiss Jena" are the same lenses, branded for different markets...

An excellent lens indeed!

No joke Wink - of course I know that the "aus Jena" and the "Carl Zeiss Jena" lenses are more or less identical. I myself, however, would prefer the "Carl Zeiss Jena" label on a vintage CZJ lens, not the "aus Jena" ... even though the "aus Jena" lenses produced for the western market might have a better quality (better qualty control)! However, this is pure speculation from my side, not an established fact!!

S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a PB mount many years ago for less than 200 EUR. They can still be found for ~300 EUR in ebay.de from personal sellers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I bought a PB mount many years ago for less than 200 EUR. They can still be found for ~300 EUR in ebay.de from personal sellers.

Thanks for this information! However the chances I buy something via ebay are quite slim - the additional costs are simply horrendous. I've had some cases when I finally had to pay nearly 100% additional fees and charges on top of the sellers price: ebay and paypal of course, Swiss taxes and custom fees, additional handling fees for the (private) company checking the correct labelling of custom information, and finally storage fees (!!) for the same private complany storing (and thus delaying) the package ... Incredible but true.

Anyway - what are your experiences with the Zeiss 1.8/80mm, complaring it to one of the well known fast 85mm lenses e. g. from Canon, Minolta, or Nikon?

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the PB 80 1.8 is a good walk-around lens that has no major weakness. It is not as sharp as my Topcor 85 but it is much lighter and focus much closer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Thanks for this information! However the chances I buy something via ebay are quite slim - the additional costs are simply horrendous. I've had some cases when I finally had to pay nearly 100% additional fees and charges on top of the sellers price: ebay and paypal of course, Swiss taxes and custom fees, additional handling fees for the (private) company checking the correct labelling of custom information, and finally storage fees (!!) for the same private complany storing (and thus delaying) the package ... Incredible but true.

Anyway - what are your experiences with the Zeiss 1.8/80mm, complaring it to one of the well known fast 85mm lenses e. g. from Canon, Minolta, or Nikon?

Stephan

Is this valid for Europe also,just as UK or US?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
stevemark wrote:

I've had some cases when I finally had to pay nearly 100% additional fees and charges on top of the sellers price: ebay and paypal of course, Swiss taxes and custom fees, additional handling fees for the (private) company checking the correct labelling of custom information, and finally storage fees (!!) for the same private complany storing (and thus delaying) the package ... Incredible but true.

Stephan

Is this valid for Europe also,just as UK or US?

Yes.

It's mainly a problem for cheaper stuff - I don't mind paying CHF 25.-- "controlling fees" and another CHF 25.-- "storage fees" on top of the few percent taxes (much less than in EU), but when you buy a lens for, say, CHF 70.-- it really adds up. Strange thing is it was really unpredictable in those few cases when I actually bought stuff from abroad. I did have cases when importing a CHF 200.-- used lens did result in ZERO charges. Nothing, nada ...

S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I would say the PB 80 1.8 is a good walk-around lens that has no major weakness. It is not as sharp as my Topcor 85 but it is much lighter and focus much closer.

Here are images to look at / compare on my site...

Pancolar 1.8/80mm: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157685827975625

Topcor 1.8/85mm: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157651084397351

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Got two of them, paid around 350 EUR each, both in EX++ condition Wink

Yes, you're right - I just saw that another one (PB mount) was sold recently here in Switzerland for CHF 280.--.

S