Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Orion Nebula
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Orion Nebula Reply with quote

Nikon D850, 500mm f/8 Reflex Nikkor (it is basically a small SCT telescope!). 220 3/4 sec light frames and 30 each dark, bias and flat frames, stacked in Deep Sky Stacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it!
Excellent!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That came out really nice.

What are your settings for the image and did you use a star tracker? I'm starting with deep sky Astro just now and haven't been able to get anything exciting yet.

I could either use my Nikon D750 with Tamron 500mm f8 or my Olympus E-5 with 50-200 + 1.4TC.

I'm debating with myself if I need a tracker...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karhallarn wrote:
That came out really nice.

What are your settings for the image and did you use a star tracker? I'm starting with deep sky Astro just now and haven't been able to get anything exciting yet.

I could either use my Nikon D750 with Tamron 500mm f8 or my Olympus E-5 with 50-200 + 1.4TC.

I'm debating with myself if I need a tracker...

https://nightskypix.com/polar-alignment/

https://petapixel.com/2017/04/07/npf-rule-formula-sharp-star-photos-every-time/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that came out pretty nice, especially for just a 500mm. I need to start trying this, but my biggest problem is I'd have to drive for probably a hundred miles before I'd find dark skies.

Stacking technology obviates the need for a tracker because each individual frame is a relatively short exposure. Probably the biggest problem when not using a tracker is having to occasionally re-position the lens because of image drift caused by the Earth's rotation. However, if you have a telescope with a mount that has the manual adjustment wheels/knobs for tracking, you can mount your camera/lens to the telescope and use the wheels to keep the object centered more easily.