Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 MkII first impression
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 MkII first impression Reply with quote

Received my new Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 mkII yesterday. I like the fact that there are several manufacturers that still make manual focus lenses; Samyang is one of them. The mkII is an improved version of the original 85/1.4. I've never used the first version, but the MKII apparently has better build quality. It also has weather sealing, and a switch between click/ clickless aperture. Build quality is indeed pretty good: lens barrel is mostly metal. Focusing ring is smooth with nice resistance to it. Aperture ring very smooth as well. In the past I had the Sony FE 85/1.8, an excellent lens optically, but the build quality of the Samyang is way better. In several articles I read that this is a compact lens, but it really is not. It may be, compared to the AF version. Minimum focus distance is 1.1 meters; I find this a little long. I have a set of Meike extension rings, which is really ideal, because I can use it for all my adapted lenses. Focus peaking works very good with this lens; getting static subjects into focus is easy. Moving objects is obviously another story Smile

Some first pictures:

For the next picture I used a Meike extension ring, to get a bit closer.

I think this lens is really a steal. Build quality, handling and optical quality are quite impressive at this price point. Good choice if you like subject isolation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Do you know if the optics has been updated too?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Looks good! Do you know if the optics has been updated too?

Apparently the optics are unchanged.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 MkII first impression Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Build quality is indeed pretty good: lens barrel is mostly metal.

Barrel material is a poor indicator of build quality.

Last edited by Gardener on Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 MkII first impression Reply with quote

[quote="Gardener"]
caspert79 wrote:
Build quality is indeed pretty good: lens barrel is mostly metal.[/img]

Laugh 1 ...compared to plastic, I think...know of any well-built plastic lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 MkII first impression Reply with quote

[quote="visualopsins"]
Gardener wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Build quality is indeed pretty good: lens barrel is mostly metal.[/img]

Laugh 1 ...compared to plastic, I think...know of any well-built plastic lenses?

Well, most of modern AF lenses from major brands have many parts in "plastic", mainly for weight saving.
In the past, the ANGENIEUX made the line of 180/2.3, 35-70/3.5 and 70-210/3.5 in polycarbonate, and they were expensive and well reputated lenses. I have to say, though, that my 70-210 got a crack right on the mount...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 MkII first impression Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Gardener wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Probably any modern AF 85mm lens of better quality? Sony GM, Sigma Art, all three Canon L's, and so on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 MkII first impression Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 MkII first impression Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
. . .
Minimum focus distance is 1.1 meters; I find this a little long.
. . .

Agreed. I have a prior version of the 85 and it also has a 1.1m MFD. Samyang's recent lenses are wonderful, but the 85's MFD is a disappointment.

caspert79 wrote:
. . .
Some first pictures:

Cute kids! I think your lens has already paid for itself. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 MkII first impression Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Gardener wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Probably any modern AF 85mm lens of better quality? Sony GM, Sigma Art, all three Canon L's, and so on.

GM is a good one.
Nice bokeh and good resolution power wide open. Sweet point at F/2,8 (center) and f/4 (whole image).
Minimal CA wide open and visible CAlo.
It feels very well with the 7RIII and 7RIV.
In the AF área, is something slow.

The 135GM is better to my taste

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't version II for APS-C and the original was a full frame lens?

Is that the lens you are talking about or is there a full frame version II?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few months ago I bought the Rokinon version of what I believe is this same lens. (They "badge engineer" some lenses and market them as Rokinon or Samyang perhaps in different markets). I am very impressed with it, especially for the price. Mine is mounted for Canon but I use it with an adapter on a Sony A7s. Some examples. These have been textured etc. in post processing but you get the idea. It's a damn fine lens and pleasant to use too.

Reserved for Lunch by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Watcher on the Wall by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

In a Camera Store by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Through a Cafe Window by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

Quiet Moment in a Bookstore by Life in Shadows, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 MkII first impression Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Received my new Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 mkII yesterday. I like the fact that there are several manufacturers that still make manual focus lenses; Samyang is one of them. The mkII is an improved version of the original 85/1.4.

It's in fact the third version.

First one had a golden ring to the front of the lens.
Second had a red ring closer to the mount (it's the one I own).
Yours is the third one.

Not counting the VDSLR versions here, only photographic ones.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 MkII first impression Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Received my new Samyang MF 85mm f/1.4 mkII yesterday. I like the fact that there are several manufacturers that still make manual focus lenses; Samyang is one of them. The mkII is an improved version of the original 85/1.4.

It's in fact the third version.

First one had a golden ring to the front of the lens.
Second had a red ring closer to the mount (it's the one I own).
Yours is the third one.

Not counting the VDSLR versions here, only photographic ones.

It s actually the fourth, the first one was with the golden ring and a golden plaque, they then released a second version with only the golden ring, the difference being the second version got new coatings UMC, then came the red ring version and now this one the OP bought.