Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42 to Sony E adapter advice please
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: M42 to Sony E adapter advice please Reply with quote

Morning all !
I recently got a Sony A7II woohoo !
Of course the adapters that I had for my A100 Sony don't work so I picked up a Fotodiox brand that works just fine with "most" of my lenses.
I have a Jena 58/2 and a S-M-S 50/1.4 Takumar that will not work with this adapter. Any advise on an adapter that will get the job done for these two lenses would be appreciated !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Takumar you will need an adapter without an inner flange to depress the aperture pin (area behind the screw thread is free), because it conflicts with the open aperture metering mechanism. If you have any lenses with an aperture pin but without an auto/manual switch you will need an adapter with such a flange (or glue the aperture pin stuck in closed position).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think K&F Pro adapter would be perfect for the job (it's better protected against inner reflections than older non "pro" type, plus it fits the camera mount better so there's no unwanted movement), at least I'm happy with it and I didn't find better within the price range.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 to Sony E adapter advice please Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
For the Takumar you will need an adapter without an inner flange to depress the aperture pin (area behind the screw thread is free), because it conflicts with the open aperture metering mechanism. If you have any lenses with an aperture pin but without an auto/manual switch you will need an adapter with such a flange (or glue the aperture pin stuck in closed position).

I thought the SMC taks where among those that need the pin depressed.
All my M42 lenses are either presets or have the A/M switch, it's only the later models that are auto only.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

I thought the SMC taks where among those that need the pin depressed.
All my M42 lenses are either presets or have the A/M switch, it's only the later models that are auto only.

All Super and S-M-C/SMC Takumars have an auto-manual switch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 to Sony E adapter advice please Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
I have fixed adapters and don't use them anymore. They have all been replaced with macro type focus helicals. Something like the Pixco 25-55mm M42-Sony E is perfect. That allows me to focus much closer than the factory MFD plus I never have issues with reaching infinity. If I get a lens with stiff focus it's no problem. I just set the lens to infinity and use the adapter's focus mechanism instead. They are also a bargain compared to pro this and pro that. It's just a personal preference though. For example using the lens depth scale can be troublesome. Infinity has to be judged by viewfinder sight and not the lens indicator. There is also the issue with the rear pin on some lenses. Good luck.

I agree, I've suggested the adapter because such was the question, but this is definitely the path to follow if someone likes the ability to focus closer and/or adapt some lenses without a focusing helicoid. K&F Pro is just a name though, it's not one of the "fancy" overpriced adapters, it's definitely less clunky than anything cheaper than that (around 30 bucks).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the great advice !
As far as the A/M switch on the S-M-C Taks go , I only have two of them , This 50 and the oddball 120/2.8 and they both have the switch.
The adapter with the focusing helicals is a great idea ! I have used the 120 tak with extension tubes for some very nice micro shots. I'm sure that just a bit of extension would allow this lens to play nicely in close quarters.
Again , mant thanks for the great ideas all !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 to Sony E adapter advice please Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Pixco helical NEX m42 adapter. I liek it. I also have a Nex EF helical and EF m42 rings to accomplish the same thing. I bought the EF version first but found some of y lenses werent focusing quite to infinityan dthe EF m42 rings are a little loose so I thought I'd try the simpler approach. Either way works pretty well. I then picked up some Nex m42 rings along with the m42 helicals to use with various rangefinder lenses (eg AKA, Paxette). I can get infinity on all of them now. I have WAY too many adapters but still find it difficult to get just the right setup for some of the oddball threads on folder and enlarger lenses.