Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Decipher Canon FL lenses? (50-58mm) - Impossible?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Decipher Canon FL lenses? (50-58mm) - Impossible? Reply with quote

Holla,

I am currently working on deciphering FL lenses - unfortunately most of the FL lenses don't have the usual factory codes on the back, so all we can work with is the serial number or look for the "II" mark after the aperture - However:

The biggest issue is the FL 58/1.2 - there are two versions, one started in 1964 and the newer one in 1968 - however contrary to (some?) FD variations, the 'second edition' is not market with a "II" on the lens ring. At least I never saw one, maybe you have.

Another topic is the FL 50/1.4 - we have 3 different versions at least according to wikipedia - I once came across one that had the "II" marking (#125957), however how do we differentiate the first two versions, the one from 1965 basically being the first one, then a mark one in 1966 - anyone ever seen a FL50/1.4 I ?

The FL 50/1.8 seems also to have 2 versions - not sure if "II" markings ever were used for the 1.8 - I have two and they have a build difference. The first one (#103259) has no A/M switch and is roughly 0.8cm shorter than my second one (#643157) which has an A/M switch - ist that the II?

Unfortunately information on FL lens variations is hard to find which is a real pity, not just for collectors but also when it comes to usage - build like a tank, the FL mount is at least in my opinion the easiest to handle and a bit of radioactivity is always good Wink In all seriousness, let's try to solve that mystery, I am sure a lot of you have some FL 50's laying around.

If we get enough information I'll try to buy each version, I'll do a proper documentation and put it online somewhere so people can have a reference.

Here the list according to wikipedia and lens-db:

FL58/1.2 - 1964*
FL58/1.2 II - 1968

FL55/1.2 - 1968

FL50/1.4 - 1965*
FL50/1.4 I - 1966
FL50/1.4 II - 1968

FL50/1.8 - 1964*
FL50/1.8 II - 1968

*radioactive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you have seen this:
https://global.canon/en/c-museum/series_search.html?t=lens&s=fl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slalom wrote:
Not sure if you have seen this:
https://global.canon/en/c-museum/series_search.html?t=lens&s=fl

Yupp, however even they have no image for the first 50/1.4
https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/fl99.html

Makes it impossible to differentiate the first version with the "I". Also, the image for the FL/50 18II is wrong, the markings are in color. Overall the Canon museum website is not the best when it comes to consistency and details.

However that link answered some other questions, thanks Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Decipher Canon FL lenses? (50-58mm) - Impossible? Reply with quote

georgegrant wrote:
. . .
The biggest issue is the FL 58/1.2 - there are two versions, one started in 1964 and the newer one in 1968 - however contrary to (some?) FD variations, the 'second edition' is not market with a "II" on the lens ring. At least I never saw one, maybe you have. . .

Would you like photos as well as serial numbers, George? My FL 58 f/1.2 is No.52623 and it's radioactive.
I don't see a II or any similar marking on my lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Decipher Canon FL lenses? (50-58mm) - Impossible? Reply with quote

georgegrant wrote:
Holla,

I am currently working on deciphering FL lenses - unfortunately most of the FL lenses don't have the usual factory codes on the back, so all we can work with is the serial number or look for the "II" mark after the aperture - However:

The biggest issue is the FL 58/1.2 - there are two versions, one started in 1964 and the newer one in 1968 - however contrary to (some?) FD variations, the 'second edition' is not market with a "II" on the lens ring. At least I never saw one, maybe you have.

Interesting . I didn't know that. Mine probably is radioactive (at least it has the typical distinct color cast). So probably version I, i guess?

georgegrant wrote:

Another topic is the FL 50/1.4 - we have 3 different versions at least according to wikipedia - I once came across one that had the "II" marking (#125957), however how do we differentiate the first two versions, the one from 1965 basically being the first one, then a mark one in 1966 - anyone ever seen a FL50/1.4 I ?

I might have the second vesrion (aka FL50/1.4 I): It does not have the yellow color cast typical for radioactive lenses, and it doesn't have the "II" designation as well. My FL 1.4/50mm I has seven reflections in the rear part, and six reflections on the front part. This would indicate a front group with 3 separate lenses (as with the earlier FL 1.4/50mm [6/5]), and a rear group with one doublet and two additional separate lenses (like the FD 1.4/50mm).

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, posting photos will be very helpful, especially about the 1.2 and 1.4 versions. My goal is to make a list and figure out how many of each version were produced, after all at some point in time that information might be important for collectors.

Thanks to Slalom we now know at least how to differentiate the first and second version of the FL58/1.2

FL58/1.2 Version I

FL58/1.2 Version II

In addition to the 1.2, let's also see some photos for the 50mm/1.4 versions and find that mystical first version even Canon didn't have an image of Smile

Cheers,
George

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgegrant wrote:
Yes, posting photos will be very helpful, especially about the 1.2 and 1.4 versions.
. . .

This is my FL 58mm f/1.2 No. 52623. It's radioactive and the glass is yellowed.